Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status Failed of Big Amount Backup

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

Dear All Expert's,

Here i am facing one problem with BE 10D, Like when i took backup of 275 GB it done but when i took backup of more then 300 GB or similar it's failed no any log or error its showing.. can you tell me y its done or happening..
I chk my Device its working fine, i changed Tapes and even test it on another application Hardware is working fine..
Pls provide solution.. with steps how to do,,..
:(

Regard's

Jack
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285756.htm

File Types

The average file compresses at a 2:1 ratio when hardware compression is used. Higher and lower compression occur depending on the type of files being backed up. Average compression can double the backup speed, while no compression runs the tape device at its rated speed. Image and picture files are fully compressed on disk. Therefore, no hardware compression takes place during the backup causing the tape drive to operate at its native (non-compression) rate of speed. Hardware compression is performed by the tape device and not the backup software.

Compression

Successful compression can increase the tape drive's data transfer rate up to twice the native rate. Compression can be highly variable depending on the input data.  Image files from a graphical program like Microsoft Paint, may compress at 4.5:1 or more, while binary files may compress at just 1.5:1. Data that has already been compressed or random data (such as encrypted data or MPEG files) may actually expand by about five percent when attempting to compress it further. This can reduce drive throughput.

Block Size

Larger block sizes can improve the compression ratio, which helps the drive to achieve better throughput and more tape capacity. Make sure that the block and buffer size are set properly. The throughput will increase in proportion to the compression achieved, until the drive's maximum throughput is reached. Symantec does not recommend increasing the Block Size above the default settings.

But Changing block size will nerver effective.. If you are changing compression method will also not such a really helpfull.
So i follow this doc may be this is the solution..

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Can you attach the job for the failed Job ...
Does it give you some error like the connection to the remote agent lost ..
Is there any Time Windows you have set for the job.....

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

For your info we are taking big backup from EMC storage... This backup is due from more then 2 week so pls do some hurry..
and about logs n reports as i got i will provide you but hope u can give me first lvl troubleshooting..
Or possibilities..

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

Now pls look in to the mater.. <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> Job Log: BEX_APPSERVERHO_05282.xml

Job Log for Friday

Completed status: Failed

Job Information
Drive and media mount requested: 23-Apr-2010 3:00:04 AM
No appendable media could be mounted.
Switching to overwrite operation on scratch media.

Device and Media Information

Job Operation - Backup

Job Operation - Verify

Job Completion Status

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- S: EMC_SATA
V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \ETP_Backup_March_2010 and its subdirectories.

Backup- H: EMC_SAS
V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \March10 and its subdirectories.
<br /> Job Log: BEX_APPSERVERHO_05279.xml

Job Log for Thursday

Job Information
Drive and media mount requested: 22-Apr-2010 10:46:03 AM

Job Operation - Backup

Job Completion Status

Errors

Backup- APPSERVERHO
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "H:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Prov...
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008523): VERITAS Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP) cannot snap the specifi...
Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \March10_Apds and its subdirectories.
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "S:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Prov...
Snapshot provider error (0xE0008523): VERITAS Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP) cannot snap the specifi...

Backup- S: EMC_SATA
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "E:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Prov...

Backup- E: New Volume
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Prov...

Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log

Backup- E: New Volume
Unable to open the item E:\vol1\AutoPos\DATARECD.PRG - skipped.
Unable to open the item E:\vol1\AutoPos\FOXUSER.DBF - skipped.
Unable to open the item E:\vol1\AutoPos\FOXUSER.FPT - skipped.
Unable to open the item E:\vol1\GNB\TEST\INVDET.DBF - skipped.
Unable to open the item E:\vol1\GNB\TEST\INVHD.DBF - skipped.
Unable to open the item E:\vol1\H1\Foxprog\ETPINVDT.DBF - skipped.
Unable to open the item E:\vol1\H1\Foxprog\ETPINVHD.DBF - skipped.
Unable to open the item E:\vol1\H1\Foxprog\ETPSTK.PRG - skipped.
Unable to open the item E:\vol1\PRICING\WSPRC.TXT - skipped.
Unable to open the item E:\vol1\USERMAIN\REPOMAIN\STK\FOXUSER.DBF - skipped.
Unable to open the item E:\vol1\USERMAIN\REPOMAIN\STK\FOXUSER.FPT - skipped.
Unable to open the item E:\vol1\WAREMAIN\WAREGGN\NEWSYS\FOXUSER.DBF - skipped.
Unable to open the item E:\vol1\WAREMAIN\WAREGGN\NEWSYS\FOXUSER.FPT - skipped.

Job Log for Thursday

Job Information
	Drive and media mount requested: 21-Apr-2010 9:40:00 AM
					Drive and media information from media mount: 21-Apr-2010 9:40:00 AM
					Drive Name: HP 1
					Media Label: Thursday
					Media GUID: {21cc7e46-d74e-4ab8-9033-ac189b97cbe2}
					Overwrite Protected Until: 21-Apr-2010 10:40:00 AM
					Appendable Until: 31-Dec-9999 5:30:00 AM
					Targeted Media Set Name: Thurs

Job Operation - Backup
Backup Options
									Media operation - overwrite.
									Hardware compression enabled.

Server - APPSERVERHO
									AOFO: Initialization failure on: "H:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
									Snapshot provider error (0xE0008523): VERITAS Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP) cannot snap the specified volume. Restart the target computer, and then run the job again.

Note: Backup Exec did not perform a snapshot of all volumes simultaneously because the option 'Process logical volumes for backup one at a time' was selected as a backup job property.
Set Information - H: EMC_SAS
Backup Set Information
																	Family Name: "Media created 21-Apr-2010 9:40:00 AM"
																	Backup of "H: EMC_SAS"
																	Backup set #1 on storage media #1
																	Backup set description: "Thursday"
																	Backup Type: Full - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit

Backup started on 21-Apr-2010 at 9:40:10 AM.
Backup Set Detail Information
																	V-79-57344-65033- Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \March10 and its subdirectories.
													Backup completed on 21-Apr-2010 at 11:35:41 AM.
Backup Set Summary
																	Backed up 1107 files in 47 directories.
																	1 item was skipped.
																	Processed 161013524087 bytes in  1 hour,  55 minutes, and  31 seconds.
																	Throughput rate: 1329 MB/min

AOFO: Started for resource: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
									The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" .
									The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume C: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).
									Note: Backup Exec did not perform a snapshot of all volumes simultaneously because the option 'Process logical volumes for backup one at a time' was selected as a backup job property.
Set Information - Shadow?Copy?Components Shadow?Copy?Components
Backup Set Information
																	Family Name: "Media created 21-Apr-2010 9:40:00 AM"
																	Backup of "Shadow?Copy?Components Shadow?Copy?Components"
																	Backup set #2 on storage media #1
																	Backup Type: Full - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit

Backup started on 21-Apr-2010 at 11:36:23 AM.
Backup Set Detail Information

Backup completed on 21-Apr-2010 at 11:42:32 AM.
Backup Set Summary
																	Backed up 11 Shadow Copy Writers
																	Backed up 11 Shadow Copy Components
																	Processed 1,503,198,416 bytes in  6 minutes and  9 seconds.
																	Throughput rate: 233 MB/min

Job Operation - Verify
Set Information - H: EMC_SAS
Verify Set Information
													Verify of "H: EMC_SAS"
													Backup set #1 on storage media #1

Verify started on 21-Apr-2010 at 11:43:39 AM.
									Verify completed on 21-Apr-2010 at 1:38:22 PM.
Verify Set Summary
													Verified 1107 files in 47 directories.
													0 files were different.
													Processed 161013524087 bytes in  1 hour,  54 minutes, and  43 seconds.
													Throughput rate: 1339 MB/min

Set Information - Shadow?Copy?Components Shadow?Copy?Components
Verify Set Information
													Verify of "Shadow?Copy?Components Shadow?Copy?Components"
													Backup set #2 on storage media #1

Verify started on 21-Apr-2010 at 1:38:22 PM.
Verify Set Detail Information

Verify completed on 21-Apr-2010 at 1:38:50 PM.
Verify Set Summary
													Verified 11 Shadow Copy Writers
													Verified 11 Shadow Copy Components
													0 files were different.
													Processed 1,503,198,416 bytes in  28 seconds.
													Throughput rate: 3072 MB/min

Job Completion Status

Errors

Backup- APPSERVERHO

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "H:". Advanced Open File Option used: Symantec Volume Snapshot Prov...

V-79-57344-65033- Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \March10 and its subdirectories.
<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> Job Log: BEX_APPSERVERHO_05282.xml

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Your directory is invalid and directory not found messages are almost certainly something to do with your selection lists specifying individual folders that no longer exist - to correct this you have to use the text view (View Selection Details tab) of the Backup Selection list to review the individual entries.

the other serros seem to show that the Open file technology is not working properly on some resources - as you are on BackuP Exec 10D and using VSP - I 'd sugges it might be worth trying VSS (or even upgrading Backup Exec to a newer version which would use VSS anyway)

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

Thanks Colin,

Can you suggest me steps how i can shoot this trouble..
This directory is now deleted.. completly.. and about upgrade its time taking process.. now you tell me how i can bring it in normal mode..
We are using tape 200/400 and this was done before, but now a day's.. it's not working properly.
Please Tell me how i can change my compression ratio from software.
Pls help

Jack_Sperow
Level 5
Partner

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285756.htm

File Types

The average file compresses at a 2:1 ratio when hardware compression is used. Higher and lower compression occur depending on the type of files being backed up. Average compression can double the backup speed, while no compression runs the tape device at its rated speed. Image and picture files are fully compressed on disk. Therefore, no hardware compression takes place during the backup causing the tape drive to operate at its native (non-compression) rate of speed. Hardware compression is performed by the tape device and not the backup software.

Compression

Successful compression can increase the tape drive's data transfer rate up to twice the native rate. Compression can be highly variable depending on the input data.  Image files from a graphical program like Microsoft Paint, may compress at 4.5:1 or more, while binary files may compress at just 1.5:1. Data that has already been compressed or random data (such as encrypted data or MPEG files) may actually expand by about five percent when attempting to compress it further. This can reduce drive throughput.

Block Size

Larger block sizes can improve the compression ratio, which helps the drive to achieve better throughput and more tape capacity. Make sure that the block and buffer size are set properly. The throughput will increase in proportion to the compression achieved, until the drive's maximum throughput is reached. Symantec does not recommend increasing the Block Size above the default settings.

But Changing block size will nerver effective.. If you are changing compression method will also not such a really helpfull.
So i follow this doc may be this is the solution..