cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop service when removing tapes?

GARY_BRETT
Level 4
Hi there,
I have a Dell PowerVault LTO SCSI tape drive & BE9.1 running on 2003 Server. When removing or inserting tapes I have always had to stop the Veritas services inside the console or it says door is locked.

Is this normal behaviour or have I something setup wrong? I though it would have been able load tapes if there was no job running?

Thanx

G
5 REPLIES 5

Joshua_Small_2
Level 4
Hi Gary,

I'm not too sure why you are having this problem, but it's definitely not normal.

aravind_kondapa
Level 6
It is absolutely normal behavior. But I would recommend you to use the "Hot-swappable Device Wizard".
After you start the Hot-swappable Device Wizard and close the Backup Exec Administration Console, the Hot-Swappable Device Wizard waits until any jobs that were processing are completed.
The wizard pauses the media server and stops the Backup Exec services.
You can then add or replace any storage devices.
The wizard detects the new or replaced device, and adds information about the device to the Backup Exec database.
The wizard is then completed, and you can reopen the Backup Exec Administration Console.
The replaced storage device is displayed in the Devices view with a status of Offline. To remove the storage device from Backup Exec, disable it and then delete it from the Devices view.
Note Only tape devices that have hot-swap capability are supported for hot swapping and adding.

To start the Hot-swappable Device Wizard:
On Tools menu, point to Wizards, and then click Hot-swappable Device Wizard.

NOTE: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

GARY_BRETT
Level 4
Hi, thanx for your answers.

I have found another option which involves simply unlocking the devices without stopping the BE services..

Devices - Robotic libaries - right click DELL1 and select "lock"

Thanx anayway
G

Joshua_Small_2
Level 4
Hi Gary,

Looks like you figured it out yourself, good work.

Aravind, simply put, either you're crazy, or you've never used Backup Exec.

Seriously, stopping services before you can eject a tape? Not normal at all. The discussion you cut and pasted, about the "hot swappable device wizard", refers to "add or replace any storage devices", but if you understood the post, he's not replacing the tape drive, just the tape.

Seriously.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Gary!

Thanks for the update!