cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Expiration Settings for Synthetic Backups

AwesomeAndy
Level 2

I'm creating a synthetic full backup job on Backup Exec 15.  I'm only interested in keeping the synthesized full backup and the incrementals that follow it before they get rolled into the next synthetic backup at the end of the week.  What should I set for the storage expiration for the full, incremental, and synthetic full backups?

I'm doing an incremental backup every weeknight (M-F) and then on Saturday I'm creating the synthetic full.  I want to keep the incrementals only until the synthetic full is created at the end of the week, and then I no longer need them.  And the synthetic full only needs to be kept for a week -- once the next week's synthetic full is created, I no longer need the previous weeks'.  The bottom line is that at any time I only need one full backup of my data on disk (that I may duplicate to removable storage).

Also, since I need to do the initial full backup only once, how do I create the backup job and schedule it to run the full backup once without a recurring schedule?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. You can set your retention period of your synthetic and incremental backups to one day 2. Schedule your full backup for yearly recurrence and then hold the full backup after the first run

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. You can set your retention period of your synthetic and incremental backups to one day 2. Schedule your full backup for yearly recurrence and then hold the full backup after the first run

AwesomeAndy
Level 2

Great!  Thank you.  I will try those settings.  I appreciate your help.