cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Trending

M_Strong
Level 4

Good Day; I have a question about Storage Trending and possibly how to reset the collected data.

Along with many others, recently we had the ODBC connection error (known issue) which was ultimately resolved by installing SP1.  A few of the symptoms included backup sets being created - not labeled with the correct server name and cataloging operations failing - serching for media that didn't exist.  During troubleshooting with Symantec support, we were instructed to clear the catalog data and simultaneously wipe out all disk based backup files.

End result, everything seems to be working smoothly again with the exception of one almost cosmetic issue.  The storage trending on B2D targets now perpetually states 'Remaining Storage: 0 day' for all disks.  Is the Storage Trending looking at bytes written vs bytes deleted from a volume, not taking into consideration the catalogs or any OS directory enumeration?

So I guess my question(s) would be:  Does the Storage Trending data expire ever allowing whatever it is displaying in the GUI to become more accurate over time?  Or:  Is there a way to delete all Storage Trending data previously collected and allow it to start over from scratch.

I've read the Storage Trending tech article, which isn't very technical.  I'm looking for a way to clear out all collected data to start the Storage Trending over from scratch.

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Can you give the URL of the Storage Trending article that you are referring to?

M_Strong
Level 4

Pardon the delay, the aforementioned tech article can be found at:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74141&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

Even after a month+ of successful backups (exceptions caused by incomplete cleanup of SEP 12 updates aside), the 'Storage Trending' presented by the BE 2012 GUI is still saying 'Remaining Storage: 0 day'.  Even though, we maintain ~50% - 60% free space across all B2D volumes.  (The free space estimation is made based on net-end-result of scheduled backups completing, then the BE backup-set grooming process eliminating the superceded backup-sets.)

I still have not found any information at all on how the storage trending works, where the 'trending' data is stored and how one would adjust, reset or even test the trending data for accuracy.

Now, given that we only had BE2012 in production for about a month or so before we began encountering the ODBC issue, we never really got a chance to examine what this trending is good for.  This has actually been a completely useless cosmetic feature.

Thanks in advance for any insight.