cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage allocation with "Any disk storage" selected.

Jason_Burds
Not applicable

I am not sure if other are experiencing this but when I select "Any disk storage" for my backups they will all go to the same SAN drive until it's full then move to the next one.  That's fine but it causes the next backup to fail on the first one that gets the full device message.  Then since the Drive is full it will cause the Enterprise Vault Services to continually stop.

Is there a way to make backups without manual setting the SAN drive location to do a Round robin on the drives?  I have 5 SAN drives currently.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

"Round robin on the drives" or cascaded device pool is a feature that was discontinuted since BE 2010. In your situation, you would need to manually target your jobs to specific Backup to Disk folders and not to 'Any Disk Storage'

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver

Just to slightly correct this, it was not discontinued by design and we are looking to correct this and put better logic into choosing disk storage devices into the next full release of Backup Exec. I believe that we are consdiering ability to make disk storge be chosen based on their free space as one of the options (slightly more useful than round robin)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

"Round robin on the drives" or cascaded device pool is a feature that was discontinuted since BE 2010. In your situation, you would need to manually target your jobs to specific Backup to Disk folders and not to 'Any Disk Storage'

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. There is no way configure BE 2012 to use disks in a device pool in a round-robin manner.  You would have to manage this manually.  I understand this is one of the feature that is being considered for future releases.

Colin_Weaver

Just to slightly correct this, it was not discontinued by design and we are looking to correct this and put better logic into choosing disk storage devices into the next full release of Backup Exec. I believe that we are consdiering ability to make disk storge be chosen based on their free space as one of the options (slightly more useful than round robin)