cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage device reported an error on a request to write data to media

ComputerMan2177
Level 3

I'm currently migrating my users over to a new file server and I'm attempting to run a full backup for the first time.  I'm backing up to an exgrid disk located on my local network.  Odd thing is if I only backup the data share, it backs up just fine and completes.  However, if I attempt to backup "System State" as part of the backup it fails with the following.  Any ideas?

Job ended: Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 10:18:57 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34036

V-79-57344-41488 - Due to one or more errors in \\MyServer\System?State, this backup cannot be used for conversion to virtual machines, Simplified Disaster Recovery (SDR), or a complete online restore.

Storage device "Exagrid" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error Reports:

An unexpected network error occurred.

V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

2 REPLIES 2

kf2013
   VIP   

An unexpected network error occurred. <-- You may check if the backup storage disconnected during the backup.

You can try to backup system state to a local disk on backup to isolate the problem.

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

On the Backup Exec Server, KeepAliveTime registry dword can be created and set to decimal 5000 (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters) (Note: reboot the server post making the change). Just check if it helps.