cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange 'Directory not found' messages

hartry
Level 2
Windows SBS 2003 SP2, Backup Exec 9.1.4691

We have been running backups succesfully for a long while but since last week we are getting the following error messages in the job log:

Drive and media information from media mount:
Drive Name: Backup-to-Disk Folder 1
Media Label: B2D000051
Media GUID: {C1E590A4-28D1-402A-AB41-946151E41ADC}
Overwrite Protected Until: 01/01/1900 00:00:00
Appendable Until: 31/12/9999 00:00:00
Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1
Backup set #6 on storage media #62
Directory not found. Can not backup directory \Documents and Settings\\牣獯景屴敓牡档\IN
ǡĎ\\cuments and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\\N\\ǒĎ㯈Ǧ\\\?ⵐǣ and its subdirectories.
Directory not found. Can not backup directory \Documents and Settings\\牣獯景屴敓牡档\IN
ǡĎ\\cuments and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\\N\\ǒĎ㯈Ǧ\\\?ⵐǣ and its subdirectories.
ǡĎ\\cuments and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\\N\\ǒĎ㯈Ǧ\\ and its subdirectories.
ǡĎ\\cuments and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\\N\\ǒĎ㯈Ǧ\\\?ⵐǣ00 and its subdirectories.

Can anyone throw any ideas as to what might be happening here? My Japanese isn't what it used to be.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

hartry
Level 2
And today...
=============================================
C: OS
Family Name: "Media created 23/06/2009 16:00:03"
Backup of "C: OS"
Backup set #6 on storage media #61
Backup set description: "Daily USB Backup 2"
Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 24/06/2009 at 02:37:03.

Drive and media information from media mount:
Drive Name: Backup-to-Disk Folder 2
Media Label: B2D000069
Media GUID: {6E611F84-C561-4101-B499-EAB7D9C75EFD}
Overwrite Protected Until: 01/01/1900 00:00:00
Appendable Until: 31/12/9999 00:00:00
Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1
Backup set #6 on storage media #62
ǯđ偁䱐彙偃归佔䉟䍁啋卐呅圀䥁T\ǪĊ峘Ǩ폘Ǟ\\\竐ǣŀ:퓬ǧ\픦ǧ\\\\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp\backup\*.*\\TÛĈИ?И? and its subdirectories.
ǯđ偁䱐彙偃归佔䉟䍁啋卐呅圀䥁T\ǪĊ峘Ǩ폘Ǟ\\\竐ǣŀ:퓬ǧ\픦ǧ\\\\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp\backup\*.*\\TÛĈИ?И? and its subdirectories.
==============================================

more often than not the problem directories are within C:\documents and settings\ but sometimes they are elsewhere as shown here!?

thabo
Not applicable
Looks like Symantec doesn't like invalid characters in its filenames. Here is my similar error. I am guessing it is a bug that is fixed in a newer version, but is there any way to get rid of these obviously corrupt files? I can't track the actual directories down from the error log.

Directory not found. Can not backup directory \Documents and Settings\\5224~1.X86\\\\ ā7\烀ǟnd No Overwrite\Log Backup\\ ā\\횰ǝ࿀ǞǛā䅌呓卟呅\\\\ā䕄䥖䕃佟当䕖R\ꂐǞ傈ǝ‡āc:\winnt\sysvol\domain\\:00:01 AM and its subdirectories.
Directory not found. Can not backup directory \Documents and Settings\\5224~1.X86\\\\ ā7\烀ǟnd No Overwrite\Log Backup\\ ā\\횰ǝ࿀ǞǛā䅌呓卟呅\\\\ā䕄䥖䕃佟当䕖R\ꂐǞ傈ǝ‡āc:\winnt\sysvol\domain\\:00:01 AM and its subdirectories.

L__Quarton
Level 4

Those directories may have been deleted; that's when I usually see "directory not found" errors.

Try this: open up the backup job, and under "Selections" uncheck the "Documents and Settings" directory, then save the job. 
  Open the job back up, go back to "Selections" and check the "Documents and Settings" directory and then save the job. 

That way, only current directories will be included, and if those in your logs above were deleted, the job won't go try to find them anymore. 

You might want to talk to the sysadmins about those servers and find out of you really do need to back up "Documents and Settings".  I have a bunch of servers that I've excluded that from because it's all user cache that won't be restored in case of a server failure anyway.