cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange behavior with Backup Exec 2010R3 and Exchange 2010

mhartman
Level 3

HI all,

I am experiencing some strange behavior with my Exchange backups in BE 2010 R3. Environment outline:

Backup Exec Server:

Server 2008 R2 SP1, BE 2010 R3 is up-to-date as well as the Agents

Exchange Server:

Server 2008 R2 SP1, Exchange 2010

Backup Schedule:

Friday-Full, Saturday-Inc, Sunday-Inc, Monday-Inc, Tuesday-Inc, Wednesday-Inc, Thursday-Inc

The behavior I have noticed:

After the exchange server has an up time of a few weeks I will start to get the following BE error on Wednesday: E0000393 Cannot extract mail messages from the exchange server backup. Review the job log for more information. Job Log: V-79-57344-915 Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The following error was returned when opening the exchange database file: 1022 There is a disk IO error. I have also correlated this event in the event logs on the exchange server to the following event id: Event ID 17 MsExchange RBAC. (My backup account is already a member of the Organization Management group in Microsoft Exchange Security Groups.)

On Thursday I get the following BE error: E000035E The backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange was not used to create the last full backup of this database. You must use the exchange agent to run a full backup before you run a differential or incremental backup. Job Log: V-79-57344-862. I have also correlated this event to the following event logs on the exchange server: Event ID 9782 MSExchangeIS, Event ID 2007 ESE (both point to VSS)

On Friday the full backup runs successfully then all incrementals are successful until Wednesday when the same errors are given.

If I restart the exchange server all jobs will run successful until the server has a run time of a few weeks. Then this behavior repeats.

Any ideas?

I saw a Symantec article a while back talking about resetting the VSS writer but I cannot find it now.

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Can you please perfom the steps given in below link

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH186423

Hope that helps

Thanks

mhartman
Level 3

So I just add these keys to the Backup Exec server registry?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Yes that is right please add those keys on Media server & then update the results here. Ensure after adding the keys please restart all services on Media server

Hope that helps

Thanks