Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure of Veritas backup Exec

hmdanielsen
Level 3
VERITAS Backup Exec 8.x
VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers
VERITAS Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers

I am helping create a software compliancy report for a customer. However, as I have no experience with Veritas licensing I have questions:

Does the Customers license for VERITAS Backup Exec 8.x also cover as license for VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers and VERITAS Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers? Are the two 'bundled'? Or do each of the 2 latter each require their own license?
Please help me.
1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
8.x is a very old version - so the licensing could be different however typically

Backup Exec for Windows Servers license allows you to run a BackuP Exec Media Server and Backup data held on itself (it should be noted however that programmatically the Remote Agent Service will be running on this server, is needed but does not need a separate license)

Remote Agent for Windows  license  allows you to Backup a single remote server. As such unless a site license is involved then you would need one of these for each remote server being protected. Typically site licenses still have a defined number of servers that they are purchased against  and you can't tell how many from within the software itself.

I think there might have been a change after version 9.x that affected how customers that backup remote systems over share level access (instead of via the agent) needed to be licensed - as we now need a Remote Agent License for share level backups as well.