cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for Buffalo LinkStation 220 Storage

siasia
Level 2

It would be nice for Symantec Backup Exec 2015 to support the Buffalo LinkStation 220 Storage for GRT backup and restore.

Can this be done?

It would be very helpful

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Test it with the utility below. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69107 If it passes, then it should be o.k.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Test it with the utility below. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69107 If it passes, then it should be o.k.

siasia
Level 2

I have this warning:

Reparse Points ===> WARNING - Reparse points not supported on appliance: (0x32) The request is not supported.

I could buy a new NAS, but I would like to understand how can I restore a GRT mail with staging (This is typically exhibited with CIFS connectivity.)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
In your job, do not specify the Follow symbolic Link option. Other than that, I think it should be o.k. to use this disk. You can try it out. Of it gives you problems, then but a disk which is listed in the HCL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH227895 When you backup to and restore from disk there is no staging. Read the chapter on Exchange in the Admin Guide

siasia
Level 2

Please could you explain me "do not specify the Follow symbolic Link option"?

Thanks

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Disk devices do not need to be listed on the HCL to be supported.  there are so many new ones every day it would be impossible to keep up.

If you want GRT, I would suggest iSCSI as a better alternative to CIFS. I do not know if you unit supports iSCSI.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Edit your job and look under Files/Folders. For a detailed explanation of this option, read the Admin Guide

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Disk devices do not need to be listed on the HCL to be supported.

If this is the case, why bother to have a HCL?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Thre are some device types where there are too many vendors and models (Disk Storage, Network Cards, SCSI cards etc) Where we list these devices it is where we have specifically tested them, however that does not mean other devices will not work or that we would completely deny support (pending an investigation anyway) of customers using such devices.

In the case of disk storage if B2Dtest fails then we probably would deny support, however if it passes we would investigate the problem further.

In general if NAS storage devices support iSCSI and are then seen and formatted by the Operating System as NTFS then usually this avoids any problems with the original formatting of the disk storage and the device would then support full functionality within Backup Exec. If the devices are however not able to present over iSCSI and do not have an NTFS capability then they will not provide full support for storage (GRT issues etc)