cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for Mac OS X Server 10.7 Lion

JamesAPH
Not applicable

After the delay for support for BE 2010 and 'Snow Leopard' does anyone know where we stand for support for Lion.

We are purchasing a new Mac Server in August and I am sure that it will ship with Lion and I would like to know if BE 2010 R3 Mac Agent will support it.

BE 2010 R3 is running on 2008 SP2.

Any one know?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just for info OSX 10.7 Lion is being considered for support in a future version of Backup Exec. It might help us make a decision on which future version if we have an Idea posted so that other customers can vote on wanting it as well giving us a countback. Customers can post ideas using the Create Content --> Idea option in the menus at the top of the Forums and once an Idea is created it includes a voting button to record interest in an idea. Existing Ideas are listed in the Idea section (instead of in the Forum section) of Symantec Connect

Also OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard is supported by Backup Exec 2010 but only the the 32 bit kernel, again I believe the 64bit kernel will be supported in a future version of Backup Exec.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi James,

Currently BE 2010 R3 supports Mac OSX v 10.6...not 10.7 which is what Lion is. On this basis, Lion is unsupported.

I'd check the BE 2010 R3 SCL around the time you're about to start the purchasing process to see if Mac OSX Lion is supported. Symantec will add support for software as, and when it is released.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just for info OSX 10.7 Lion is being considered for support in a future version of Backup Exec. It might help us make a decision on which future version if we have an Idea posted so that other customers can vote on wanting it as well giving us a countback. Customers can post ideas using the Create Content --> Idea option in the menus at the top of the Forums and once an Idea is created it includes a voting button to record interest in an idea. Existing Ideas are listed in the Idea section (instead of in the Forum section) of Symantec Connect

Also OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard is supported by Backup Exec 2010 but only the the 32 bit kernel, again I believe the 64bit kernel will be supported in a future version of Backup Exec.

teiva-boy
Level 6

When Apple has moved away from Xserve hardware, and sell OSX Server to be installed on desktop hardware..  One has to think and ask, "Will Apple kill off OSX server at some point?"

The consumer focused mega-giant...  I personally wonder where they will head with server products, or one day allow one to use non-Apple hardware or to allow the virtualization of OSX.

Whatever their direction, it's market adoption that will drive vevndors to support it.  The death of Xserve already signalled to admin's to look at other alternatives.  It's tough when you have a predominant Mac shop, but it is what it is...

nzmacgeek
Not applicable

I think that's a cop-out. Apple are moving in a different direction. It used to be said by one man that in a few years an Apple would be on every desk. Every computer now seems to be a server in some way. Apple are doing a number of things to make Mac OS X more attractive to the markets that have always been their stalwart, SMB and Education. Part of the way they do this is by making Lion Server more affordable. The Xserve was simply not making money. When the Server team goes to Phil Schiller (VP Marketing @ Apple) with an idea, the first thing that Phil is going to ask them is: "will it sell more Macs? will it sell more iOS devices?". The "reverse-halo" effect doesn't appear to apply to Xserves. 

I'm confident that Symantec will support Lion in due course. There are plenty of ways to protect your data in the meantime, such as using secure rsync over SSH to sync to a machine running a BE agent, if you can.