cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sush,        I have

drewdark
Level 3

Sush,

I have performed the SQL downgrade on our Symantec Backup Exec Server and all looks to be successfull especially since after I moved the Backup Exec DB from SQL 2K5 Standard Edition to SQL 2K5 Express Edition. I run a number of test backup jobs against one of our Tape library partitions and all went well. This morning, I received an error from Backup Exec Services indicating Database Consistency issue with the message below:

Summary of database maintenance activity:

* Performed database consistency check for BEDB database

Maintenance has failed: 10, Dump database failed

I have manually run the Database consistency check against our backup Exec server and it completed successfully this morning. Can you advice on what else I should do to troubleshoot this error on my server?

Drewdarko

7 REPLIES 7

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

If you see the error "Dump database failed" did you tried dumping the databse manually? You can try this using BEUtility .Right click server name and select dump database

drewdark
Level 3

I selected the server and Dump the database. The message I received is :

Starting database utility operation.
Dumping the contents of BEDB database to disk.
Error: Database dump to disk failed.
Database utility for server SERVERNAME ended with errors.

Please advice ASAP on what to do next.

Thanks

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

What version of Backup Exec are you running , are there two instances of the database in BE_DLO and BEDB ?  If yes is the dump database failing on BE_Dlo database.

What is the size of the database ? i.e MDf and ldf files

The limit for database size is 4 Gb .

Check the SQL server(BACKUPEXEC) Service is running on some other account .Try switching to Local system acount and see if that helps .

Try running a repair Database using beutility

drewdark
Level 3

Our Backup Exec Version is 11.0 Rev 7170. The old MSSQL instance already exists on this server and I installed the new instance SQLEXPRESS on the same server so Yes 2 instances exist.

For the SQL 2005 Express instance (SQLExpress) there are 2 DBs (System Databases and BEDB) and on the original DB instance (MSSQLSERVER) there are 4 Databases (System Databases, Database Snapshots, config and datamine).

The dump db error is failing on BEDB

The sizes of the databases located in the Data folder are listed below:

bedb_log.ldf           1024    KB   

BE_DLO_log.LDF   768     KB  

bedb_dat.mdf         92352  KB  

BE_DLO.mdf          5504   KB

I am again reviewing the backup exec service account used to run the services. Surprising I run a few test backup jobs against some of the partitions and they run fine without issues. Please advice

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Did you tried running arepair database using Be utility ?

drewdark
Level 3

Yes I did run a repair of the DB after reading your forum and the results were fine but this morning I got the message again when  the database consistency check process run as indicated below:

(Server: "************") (Job: "Database Maintenance") Summary of database maintenance activity:

* Performed database consistency check for BEDB database

Maintenance has failed: 10, Dump database failed Total elapsed time: 00:00:14

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Try running a repair install of backup exec from add remove program ,

Run extensive repair of the databse refering the following document  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH44422