cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Powervault to Single tape drive

Ron_W1
Level 3

Since switching to the single tape drive runing backups are different now. It wants a new tape everytime a job is ran. Far as I know everything is set to over write but that must not be the case. What do I need to change on my jobs so that it doesn't eject the tape and overwrites the data as each job runs? This is Backup Exec 2012 14.0 1798 

Each job is set to Append to media, overwrite if no apendable media is availabe. On media over write protection level I have Partial - protect only allocated media selected. Nothing else is checked.

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Your post is very contradictory. First you said that you set everything to overwrite then you said that it is set to append. Also when a tape is ejected then it cannot be overwritten

Ron_W1
Level 3

If I look at a job>storage. Media set: Append to media, overwrite if no apendable media is availabe

If I look in Backup Exec Configuration Settings>Storage: Partial - protect only allocated media is the only option selected.

So why is the tape being ejected and asking for a new tape when the job and settings are set to allow for over write?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Do you have "eject after backup completes" checked?  That wouldn't have done anything when the jobs were running to a robotic library, but would have significant impact on a stand-alone drive.

Ron_W1
Level 3

No

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

..why would you write over data that's just been written too? It's going to try append to a tape, but if it is the first tape used, and you need a second, then it's going to eject it and ask for another.

An autoloader/library obviously just pulls the next available tape!

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Is the tape ejecting while a job is running with a byte count?  that would imply you are spanning, which is no fun on a single drive.

or is the tape ejecting when the new/second job starts?  that would imply a BE setting is rejecting the tape

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Because the jobs start as Append (and I guess your media set has a long append time) then it will use the tapes until they fill (at which point the taoe is ejected as you cannot go to the start of the same tape to continue the same job once the tape fills up mid job)

Solution is - start the first job of each day as Overwrite and/or reduce the append time on the media set so the first job is forced to switch to overwrite as appropriate.

(Of course you also have to get you overwrite protection period correct as well.)

Also: If this eject happens at the start of the job before any data is wriitten, then the tape is probably overwrite protected for too long