cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symanatec backup keeps generating alert "Driver detected a controller error \device\harddisk1"

tylim
Not applicable

Hi,

The Symantec backup server keeps generating an alert "Driver detected a controller error \device\harddisk1". In 1 second it can generate ard 10 such alert. First thought was some hardware issue from the autoloader and server but have done some dianostic checks and firmware upgrade on the server. I was told by the support team that the server is functioning properly. Same goes for the autoloader. 

Anyone know where has it gone wrong?

5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
The First thing to do would be installing the Drivers for the tape drive and properly rebooting the server and the autoloader
Ie Shud down server and the autoloader
bring up autoloader 1st
Once it is initialize bring up the server .

Alo try updating the Firmware and drivers for the SCSI card as well ..
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255501.htm How to troubleshoot issues with the "Robotic Library" and "Tape Drives" in VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.x for Windows Servers

er-650
Not applicable
Employee
I would suggest to try to backup to Disk to isolate the issue.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Just to add on to my previous comments also perform the following steps
1. Check the Scsi Id for the Medium changer it has to be on a lower Id than yo tape drive
2. Check the medium changer is running unknown dirves i.e Microsoft drivers

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Check the Windows event viewer, In system log if you are getting event id's 5, 7, 9, 11 or 15  then contact hardware vendor as its an issue with

the hardware not with Backup Exec

tech29
Level 6
You should also make sure that Symantec tape drivers are installed.

Regards,
tech29