cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec 11D restoring Jobs created with Veritas 9

Gazcallyt
Level 3

Guys,

I have Symantec V11d, I am trying to restore back information from tapes that was backed up with v9, the media is lto2, the drive is an ultrium 920, the backup was encypted in ver 9 with a password, 11d recognises the name of the tape, it knows it needs a password to catalogue it, it tells me how much data has been used on the tape, the catalogue runs and finishes successfully, but with a zero byte count, the server name shows up under restore but with no content, played around with the catalogue options but still get the same results.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not sure why you can't see the data, although I assume you have checked the date filters at the top of the restore window.

However just for info 10.x and ealier used media password which just encoded the tape header, not the actual data on the tape. 11.x onwards used encryption.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

If this was an encrypted backup set, you will NEED to know the password/passphrase in order to be able to restore.

Gazcallyt
Level 3

Hi,

The password has been entered, otherwise the catalogue fails to even start, the passphrase is recognised and the media is catalogued successfully, but with 0 bytes and no files listed.

Gary

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

ok, can you make sure "Use storage-media based catalogs" option is unchecked in Tools - Options - Catalogs 

Run the catalog job to see if you get a byte count?

Gazcallyt
Level 3

Hi,

Tried that, it does exactly the same.

Cheers

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not sure why you can't see the data, although I assume you have checked the date filters at the top of the restore window.

However just for info 10.x and ealier used media password which just encoded the tape header, not the actual data on the tape. 11.x onwards used encryption.

Gazcallyt
Level 3

DOH, Schoolboy error the date filter was set for today, cannot believe I missed that one.

Cheers for you help.

Gary

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Attempt to rename the existing Catalog folder and re-run the catalog job (with a blank Catalog folder)

1. Stop all backup Exec services including the SQL service.

2. Go to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\ and rename the Catalogs folder to Catalogs_old

3. Start all Backup Exec services

4. Re-run the catalog job again and see if you getting a byte count.

Note: Do not delete that Catalogs folder, just rename it.

You can roll back to the old catalogs folder whenever you feel. Just follow the above steps and switch the folders.

Edited:

Sorry, took a while to type this comment, didn't notice your update below :)