cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec 2014 backup Exec tape not Ejecting media

robosull
Level 4

I have a Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit with SP 1 installed on it and I have also installed Symantec Backup Exec 2014 SP 1 on it.  There is also a HP MSL G3 Series tape library installed.  The issue that I'm experiencing is the following:  I have a tape in the first tape drive and I'm unable to ejected out of the tape drive.  According to the backup software there isn't a tape in the either drive and all of the slots are empty.  How do I execute a manual eject of the tape?  Would powering down the tape library force it to eject the tape and would it cause any damage to either the tape library or the tape itself?  Please advise.

Thanks,

Bob J O'Sullivan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

robosull
Level 4

Thanks, I will try the foremention recommendations and will let everyone know if I was successful or not.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

lmosla
Level 6

can you see it in the tape library's web interface?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

To eject/unload the tape, you would use the library itself.  Either from the front LCD or via the library's web interface.

Backup Exec unloads tape drives when the BE services are started, so assuming that you have already restarted the BE services, there is nothing more that can be done from within Backup Exec at this time.

Power cycling hte library should not hurt anything, but there are no assurances in life.  If you cannot unload the tape using the library interface, you will have no choice but to power cycle the library and try again, either from the library interface or by restarting the BE services.

Depending upon the libray, it is also posible that you can reach into the library.  Possibly to grab the tape and extract it, or possibly to nudge it in so that it loads properly in the drive.  Sometimes drives have a (barely) visible eject button that may help unload the tape.  Safety first though.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
By right, the tape would be unloaded automatically after the job completes and returned to the slot. If the tape is still in the tape drive after job, then it is stuck. Use the library WebUI to confirm that the tape is still in the tape drive. If it is, power-cycle the library to see whether the tape is ejected from the library. If it is still in the tape drive, I would suggest that you contact HP to hat then to remove it. The tape drive would need to be replaced. If you remove the tape yourself then you might damage it further and maybe void the warranty.

robosull
Level 4

Thanks, I will try the foremention recommendations and will let everyone know if I was successful or not.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You should not mark your own answer as the solution. You should try out the suggestions and then mark the solutions which helped you the most as the solution. Do clear the solution