cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec AVVI - Slow backup

firsttime
Level 3
Hello all,

we are using Symantec AVVI with a 2GB/s Fibre Channel adapter. We decide to backup over SAN. But the backup job is running with an average speed of 450 MB / min. only a little bit faster as the backup over network. Where I can do some finetuning, or how could I find the bottleneck?  

And if do an backup of one VM. If want to do a restore i could only restore the last VM which I backuped. Why are the older backups deleted?

Kind regards
5 REPLIES 5

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Something is a miss..  On a fresh install, I can get 2000MB/min on an HP EVA with no tweaking what so ever.

Could be really anything...  Perhaps it's a disk mis configuration in your SAN, PCI contention in your HBA, slow server or low server specs...  

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Is your Backup Exec Media Server also your VCB Proxy Server or have you got a remote agent installed on the VCB Proxy server?

firsttime
Level 3
Hi,

thank you for answering. The backup exec media server is also my vcb proxy. I observed one backup explicitly. The transfer, I think the snapshot, from the SAN to the media server/VCB (to harddisk) takes about 13 minutes. The size of the VM is 15 GB. Then the job is running. It starts with 92 MB/min and from step to step it is going faster. But no more than 600 MB/min. At the end I got an average between 380 MB/min and 480 MB/min. It is bad.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
 Hmm that appears to be speed of access from Media Server/VCB Proxy to Tape Drive/Destination Device as causing a bottleneck - which could be the tape hardware/connectivity, SAN hardware/connectivity or just the performance of the media server. It you just backup the file system on the proxy server do you see faster speeds or about the same (or slower)?

teiva-boy
Level 6
 What kind of SAN do you have, what type of RAID array is assigned to the VMFS and to the snapshot staging area, what HBA are you running, and server specs of the BE/Proxy server