cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Agent question

Halimk
Level 2

hi everyone,

do i need a special backup agent for domain controller or does the windows agent work fine

i am able to push the agent successfully and it shows up on the console manager but I am not able to manage it.

thanks

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

do i need a special backup agent for domain controller or does the windows agent work fine

Active Directory database is part of the System State so with the Remote Agent for Windows 

you can take backup of the AD but if you want to perfrom GRT backups and restore than you

would need ADRA (active directory recovery agent). With ADRA you can restore individual AD objects.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you want to do backups and GRT restores of Active Directory then you need the ADRA agent.

If you just want to backup the System State of the domain controller, then the RAWS agent is all you would need.

Thanks!

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You just need normal raws license to backup it up, if you want to backup the AD separately(for GRT) then you should have AD license as well.Make sure you are using right credentials to manage it.

Darsh143
Level 2

hi i am using symantec backup exec from past 2 months now it's says backup agent is expired .

i just wanted to know if i want to take a backup for "Microsoft information store" do i need to purchase backup agent or any other package...? if yes then please let me know which one i have to purchase for MIS..?

AmolB

hi i am using symantec backup exec from past 2 months now it's says backup agent is expired .

You may be using the agent in Trial mode which lasts for 60 days

i just wanted to know if i want to take a backup for "Microsoft information store" do i need to purchase backup agent or any other package...?

To Backup Exchange you need to purchase BE Agent for Exchange (which includes RAWS)

Darsh143
Level 2

actually i am getiing confusion because as per vendor updated ,i should purchase "symantec backup exec sql agent" so kinly please guid me which one i have to purchase or both are same ...?

AmolB

What version of BE you are using?

If you are using BE2012 than buy 1 Agent for Application and Database per application 

For eg: to backup 1 SQL and 1 Exchange purchase 2 Agent for Application and Database license.

If you are using BE2010 or older versions than to backup a SQL server purchase 1 Agent for SQL 

To backup an Exchange server purchase 1 Agent for Exchange license.