cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup EXEC prescanning option

avijitc
Level 3

Hi 

I am using Symantec BackupExec 2010 R2. Can anyone let me know how can i enable pre scanning in BE so that i can see the remaining time for a particular backup. Please also let me know if this is recommended for backups. 

Thanks & Regards

Avijit Chakraborty. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Tools ---> Options ---> Preferences and enable Display progress indicators for backup jobs. This  requires additional time to pre-scan devices.

I would not recommend enabling this option as it adds to the length of the job. To quote the Admin Guide

Backups might take a little longer to complete when this option is selected because the target resources must be scanned to determine the amount of data to be backed up. Due to the time required to scan the target resources, selecting this option when backing up remote resources is not recommended.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Tools ---> Options ---> Preferences and enable Display progress indicators for backup jobs. This  requires additional time to pre-scan devices.

I would not recommend enabling this option as it adds to the length of the job. To quote the Admin Guide

Backups might take a little longer to complete when this option is selected because the target resources must be scanned to determine the amount of data to be backed up. Due to the time required to scan the target resources, selecting this option when backing up remote resources is not recommended.