cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exc 15 license

bvn63
Level 3

Good day,

I have Symnatec Backup Exec 15 and licenses had installed on Windows Server 2012 with information as below:

A) BACKUP EXEC SERVER ED WIN 1 SERVER ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE        (Entitled Qty : 1)

B) BACKUP EXEC OPT LIBRARY EXPANSION WIN 1 DEVICE ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE    (Entitled Qty : 1)

C) BACKUP EXEC AGENT FOR VMWARE AND HYPER-V WIN 1 HOST SERVER ONPREMISE STANDARD PERPETUAL LICENSE    (Entitled Qty : 2)

Service Exp : Jan  20, 2017
SC Service Type    ESSENTIAL

I have some questions, anyone can help me clearly explain :

1) what does "onpremise" mean and function in symantec license ?

2) If I have 3 virtual machines in Hyper-V and I must to buy how many  BACKUP EXEC AGENT Licenses  for them ?

3) I can upgrade new version of Symantec if service license is expired ?

Thank much so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1) There is OnPremise and there is Cloud Platform licenses. OnPremise means the license is for the software which is installed on your premises and not on Cloud.

2) Hyper-V License already  includes the Remote Agents for the VMs. So no need to buy Remote Agent licenses for VMs. The only time you would need additional licneses for the VMs is if the VMs are running an application such as AD, Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint and you want to use Application GRT, then Agent for Application & Database license is required, else not.

3) Licenses do not expire, though Support (Maintenance) contracts do. Upgrade is free is the Support Contract is valid. If this contract expires, then upgrade comes at a cost. In your case, the contract is valid until Jan 20, 2017. If you upgrade before this date, then upgrade is free.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1) There is OnPremise and there is Cloud Platform licenses. OnPremise means the license is for the software which is installed on your premises and not on Cloud.

2) Hyper-V License already  includes the Remote Agents for the VMs. So no need to buy Remote Agent licenses for VMs. The only time you would need additional licneses for the VMs is if the VMs are running an application such as AD, Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint and you want to use Application GRT, then Agent for Application & Database license is required, else not.

3) Licenses do not expire, though Support (Maintenance) contracts do. Upgrade is free is the Support Contract is valid. If this contract expires, then upgrade comes at a cost. In your case, the contract is valid until Jan 20, 2017. If you upgrade before this date, then upgrade is free.

bvn63
Level 3

Thank VJware so much.