cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 12.3

akidmx
Level 2
Hi,
I newly installed backup exec 12.5, with 8 tapes HP robotic, and configured the backup successfully, now after I replaced all tapes and I want to create a new backup policy from the scratch, I’m not able to import the new tapes to the Scratch Media, I did import for all tapes and it’s not shown anywhere under Media, also I tried to label or run inventory, it just stack on running status for more than 12 hours.
Any advice please
6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

When you put the tapes in the library, are they blue, or black? Blue would indicate the tapes are already scratch, and black means they're protected.
If you check your media sets, can you find your tapes in there? If they're in a protected set, you can right-click the tape/tapes and then assign them to another media set.
As a rule of thumb on my sites, I never bother to import media (new or old). I put it in/get someone to put it on their site, and if need be, erase the tapes. New tapes are automatically scratch, so there is no need to import them.

Laters!

akidmx
Level 2
Thank you Craig for your reply,
I’m not sure if it’s black or blue, because it located in a remote site, I’ll confirm it.
It’s not found in any of the media set, I can see the new tapes only in devices
When I run erase or label or even run the inventory, it stay on running status for hours, I waited for 12 hours and it stayed on running status then I just canceled it.

Your help will be highly appreciated

R,
Akid

CraigV
Hi Akid,

OK...let's go bac a bit here...

1. Are you using the latest Symantec drivers for your device? If so, great. If you're using the manufacturer's drivers, download the latest BEWS drivers and install them. Then run the Device Wizard in BEWS to install the drivers for your device.

2. Is Removable Storage disabled and stopped? RSM causes issues with BEWS, and it's recommended that the service is stopped. I have seen BEWS queue jobs, or not run them at all with RSM running.

3. Are you able to do simple commands on that autoloader like: inventory, scan, and unlock? This would eliminate any issues with comms.

Thanks!

akidmx
Level 2

thanks again Criaq

did Symantec drive update, same things .
 Sorry I forget to tell you I’m using windows 2008 R2, where RSM not available anymore.
 When I do inventory, scan, it just stayed on the run status,
 I just installed the backup exec 12.5 SP2, it didn’t fix the problem.
I did reinstall for backup exec with sp2, now I have the below error; even after I ran the drives update

Job started     : Saturday, December 26, 2009 7:10:55 PM
Job ended       : Saturday, December 26, 2009 7:11:03 PM
Final error: 0xe0008115 - Physical Volume Library Drive or Robot paused, offline, or disabled.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors
Completed status: Failed

CraigV
Hi Akid,

OK cool...I'd suggest updating to SP3 as well to eliminate Windows Server 2008 R2. Then download SP3's latest drivers and use those.
However, in the meantime, I'd also suggest that you get hold of HP's Library and Tape Tools from www.hp.com/drivers . Download that, and run a couple of diagnostic tests (stop the BEWS 12.5 services or else it won't work). Check to see if you have any errors.You can also do the following:

1. Delete the autoloader, and reinstall...
  1.1 Delete the autoloader from BEWS and Windows Device Manager. Shut down the autoloader and server.
   1.2 Disconnect the autoloader, and start up the server. let it boot fully before shutting down again.
   1.3 Connect the autoloader and start it up again, then start up the server about a minute later.
   1.4 Check BEWS to see if it has detected the autoloader, and then run an inventory.

I take it you get that error when you try running an inventory after updating to SP2? Did you perhaps change drives, or add a new autoloader on at all?

akidmx
Level 2
Thanks again Criag,

actually the inventory error appeared after i reinstalled the backup exec. now after i updated the HP LIT Ultrium driver, back to the same old status. the inventory hang on running status
I scheduled a shutdown today to reinstall the autoloader as you suggested, I’ll try it and update you the result, if I couldn’t solve it by today I’ll let them open a case with HP as I’m leaving for vacation :)

R,
Akid