cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 (OS: Win 2003)

JJJCR
Level 4

hi guys, i have just move our file server to a new server.

then i  was reconfiguring, the backup schedule to point to the new server.

1. Backup Device - i never changed since it will just point to the same location where the old backups will be save

2. Just modify the job list properties to set and select the new server. (so no need to start from scratch)

Here's once cool thing I notice with Symantec Backup Exec. Bravo for the developers.

My backup settings, is set like this from Monday to Friday all incremental, Saturday Full backup.

My filename convention is quite standard like this:

File_Server_Monday

File_Server_Tuesday and till File_Server_Friday

Then File_Server_Full - for Saturday

I edit File_Server_Monday, select the new server and select System State also for that server.

When I tried to edit the other job list, for whatever reason.

The change that I made for File_Server_Monday was also replicated to the other job list.

That is really a wow for me. 

I don't know if this is a feature, but it's really cool. One change and replicate to other job list, makes life easier.

But, ohhh...there's a but.

I hope this can be seen on future releases, or I'm not just aware that it's already there. I don't know how the developers will torn their ideas.

Because the said replication that i was talking about, it only happen to the job list which I had selected the "System State".

The other backup job list, in which does not include the "System State" I have to do it manually.

So I guess it would be better if one place to edit, then replicate the changes. Provided the system will be able to detect the other job list which are related.

:)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Prior to Backup Exec 2012, Jobs are made up of Job Properties and an associated Selection List as two separate container objects

Selection Lists can be configured on a 1 job config related to one selection  list basis

OR

One Selection List used by multiple jobs basis

If you have the latter configured then any edit to the selection list will affect all the jobs that used the same list. Sounds like you actually have a mixed configuration where some jobs shared a selection list and some did not.

The section in the job properties that shows the selections, also gives you the selection list name. You can use this name to work out if two jobs share the same selection list.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Prior to Backup Exec 2012, Jobs are made up of Job Properties and an associated Selection List as two separate container objects

Selection Lists can be configured on a 1 job config related to one selection  list basis

OR

One Selection List used by multiple jobs basis

If you have the latter configured then any edit to the selection list will affect all the jobs that used the same list. Sounds like you actually have a mixed configuration where some jobs shared a selection list and some did not.

The section in the job properties that shows the selections, also gives you the selection list name. You can use this name to work out if two jobs share the same selection list.