cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 Remote Device Use

ITHelpDeskDCC
Level 3

I have recently installed a separate Dell Powervault 124T Tape Autoloader in my environment in place of my standalone Powervault Single LTO4 Tape Drive. I would like to now attach my standalone tape drive to a separate server on my network, and still use it for my exchange back ups. What step must I take to get this to work?

Just an FYI, the reason behind me attaching to a different server, is that I have run out of room for expansion on my Dell DL2000 set up as I have 1 MD1000 , 1 MD1200, and the 1 Powervault 124T.

Please be as descriptive as possible and as always. I appreciate everyone who contributes here on this forum.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

SAN SSO is only going to help you if your stand-alone tape drive has FC connectors. I don't know of 1 stand-alone that has an FC interface. A SAN therefore needs to be in place, with certain requirements being met.

SAN SSO also assumes that you have a full version of BE installed on the server you want to share the library with. You cannot target a RAWS agent at a backup device. Therefore SAN SSO is the wrong advice to go for here.

What I'd recommend is buying another license for a BE media server, along with the Exchange agent. This would be the only way to back up that remote server.

You can leverage what CASO can do for you in terms of managing multiple servers, but I'd recommend this if you have 3 or more servers. In our case, for example, I have 28 BE servers around a number of countries.

THanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Backup exec can backup to Linrary or drive which is connected locally to the server. If you wan to share the library you need to use the SAN SSO option for backup exec. At the moment you would need to set a up a new media server where you gogin to attach the standalone drive . make sure you install the same version of backup exec on new media server. It would require base license for backup exec and the exchange license as well.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

SAN SSO is only going to help you if your stand-alone tape drive has FC connectors. I don't know of 1 stand-alone that has an FC interface. A SAN therefore needs to be in place, with certain requirements being met.

SAN SSO also assumes that you have a full version of BE installed on the server you want to share the library with. You cannot target a RAWS agent at a backup device. Therefore SAN SSO is the wrong advice to go for here.

What I'd recommend is buying another license for a BE media server, along with the Exchange agent. This would be the only way to back up that remote server.

You can leverage what CASO can do for you in terms of managing multiple servers, but I'd recommend this if you have 3 or more servers. In our case, for example, I have 28 BE servers around a number of countries.

THanks!