cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 15 & Oracle 11G on the same server

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi.

I plan to get one (1) server with 30+ drives to run my Oracle Database & Backup Exec 15 applications.

For sure this is not the best practice but I force to deploy this set-up as of the moment.

Questions:

1. Can I install  Symantec BE 15 & Oracle 11G R2 on the same server? And do backups on my Oracle Database?

2. Will I be able to do backups on my Oracle Database to my Tape Library which directly attached to the sever via SAS?

3. As I understand I will just need the following licenses:

- 1x Agent for application & database

- 1x Symantec Backup Exec 15

4. Are there other things I should consider?

Thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Paul,

1. No reason not too at all, exept that if the BE server dies, so does Oracle. In that regard, if Oracle was on a separate server and died you'd be in the same position. Don't forget that upgrading Backup Exec with patches, SPs or versions requires a reboot so factor this in. BE doesn't use Oracle as a DB target for the BEDB so no clashes there.

2. Yes. As long as your verion of Oracle is supported along with the drive (check the BE 15 SCL/HCL) then you're good-to-go.

3. That should be correct on the licensing front, but you can confirm this with the Symantec licensing team or a reseller.

4. Just restarts required after upgrading BE itself which will affect Oracle.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi Paul,

1. No reason not too at all, exept that if the BE server dies, so does Oracle. In that regard, if Oracle was on a separate server and died you'd be in the same position. Don't forget that upgrading Backup Exec with patches, SPs or versions requires a reboot so factor this in. BE doesn't use Oracle as a DB target for the BEDB so no clashes there.

2. Yes. As long as your verion of Oracle is supported along with the drive (check the BE 15 SCL/HCL) then you're good-to-go.

3. That should be correct on the licensing front, but you can confirm this with the Symantec licensing team or a reseller.

4. Just restarts required after upgrading BE itself which will affect Oracle.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You might have resource contentions when backups are running, so plan for that

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi. Craig,

For Question number 1. just to clarrif: I will be able to install Oracle & Symantec BE 15 on the same server

and do backups?

Aside from that only the restarts and resouce contention highlighted by pkh shoud be a concern?

Thanks,

Paul

CraigV

Yes, and yes.

I've had a server running BE 2010 R3, Exchange, Active Directory, SQL and acting as a file and print server with no issues. Small site and no budget for multiple servers.

Aside from me mentioning the server restarts, and pkh mentioning the resource contention (if you have a multi-core CPU/s and a decent amount of RAM you should be OK), the only other thing to check out is the best practices link I posted.

Thanks!