cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 2012 CASO Catalogs from MMS - CASO (Traffic Shaping)

RAVESTAR
Level 2

Hello All,

We have 70 sites running various versions of Backup Exec (VERITAS Backup Exec 6 till the latest Symantec Backup Exec 2012)

Each Site has minimum of 3 - 4 servers with roughly 200 GB of RAW data to backup and has a media server with a SDLT/LTO tape drive

Currently all sites are sending the SNTP notifications to our service desk & they log a ticket for all the failed jobs & one of the SD guy reviews all the failed jobs by logging onto individual site & this is causing lot of productivity & sometimes we don’t get any notifications from sites where there is a service failure in Backup Exec.

I am planning for a major upgrade to 40 odd sites to Symantec Backup Exec 2012

Part of this project I am intending to use Symantec Backup Exec 2012 CASO to manage & troubleshoot my backups and have a single window/console to view the status.

• Upgrade all 40 Sites to Backup Exec 2012 – Is this a straight forward upgrade or do I need a clean install?
  • Have a CASO server on a Windows Server 2008 R2 on VMWare Virtual Server with 4 GB of RAM & C – 50 & D – 150 GB of storage with 1 CPU. – Are these specs sufficient?
  • There are roughly 40 GB of catalogs across these 40 sites (600 BM to 8 GB depending on the size of site) - Do I need a SQL Database to store these catalogs & configuration or use internal Backup Exec Database?
  • Make them all part of the CASO server – What is the recommended limit per CASO Server?
  • Would like to have a NAS box locally at each site to be used as a B2D storage for backups & disk targets & also have the tape based backups – Do I need a Raid 1+0 or a Raid 6 will do the job?
  • Would like to backup Oracle/SQL databases – Any recommendations?
  • 60% of data on these sites is 2 or more years old – What sort of Backup/Dedupe recommended?
  • 30% data at each site is PST data – Any better way to archive/dedupe this data?
  • Out of these 40 sites only hand full sites that have 4 MB or similar speed connections back to our CO & rest of them are on 2 MB or below on a MPLS Network. – Need to know if there is a way to you can set catalogs updates to be sent less frequently, and choose the schedule to send them on a slow/shaped connection Traffic Shaping?
  • Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Regards

Ravi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Ravi,

1. To get to BE 2012, it's going to be such a mission you might as all just do a clean install. You will need so many multi-step upgrades to get to a version of BE that will upgrade directly to BE 2012 that it's going to probably take you 5x as long at least to do 1 site. Do a clean installation, and you will be good-to-go. Just grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders before uninstalling and installing BE 2012.

2. Those specs are fine. The CASO I have has a bit more memory, but that was because I was also running a 3rd party reporting application on the CASO server to help with backup reporting. 8GB would be advisable, along with a 2nd CPU.

3. Each server has a BEDB, and the CASO has 1 too. Where you store your information depends on how you configure your catalogs. If you centralise them, then everything gets stored on the CASO. If the CASO dies, so do your backups until you fix it. If you replicate/localise your catalogs, they get shared/localised on the CASO and MMS.

4. No idea on the limit, but at 1 stage I had 33 servers reporting into mine.

5. RAID1+0 would be more expensive but faster than RAID6. However, RAID6 would be sufficient if you're not backing up TBs of data. That's my opinion. All my backups, when run to disk, are to Iomega NAS with RAID5.

6. Get the license for Databases. You'd need 1 license PER DB server you want to backup. Not per DB.

7. Don't know enough information to tell you here. You need to decide whether or not the site will benefit from a dedupe backup or a traditional backup. If it is a single server, dedupe doesn't really help much in my opinion.

8. You can consider DIfferential/Incremental backups if need-be.

9. There should be a tab on the CASO that shows all your MMS servers. You can right-click a server and choose Properties. From there you can set the frequency on how often catalogs are replicated.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi Ravi,

1. To get to BE 2012, it's going to be such a mission you might as all just do a clean install. You will need so many multi-step upgrades to get to a version of BE that will upgrade directly to BE 2012 that it's going to probably take you 5x as long at least to do 1 site. Do a clean installation, and you will be good-to-go. Just grab copies of the Data/Catalogs folders before uninstalling and installing BE 2012.

2. Those specs are fine. The CASO I have has a bit more memory, but that was because I was also running a 3rd party reporting application on the CASO server to help with backup reporting. 8GB would be advisable, along with a 2nd CPU.

3. Each server has a BEDB, and the CASO has 1 too. Where you store your information depends on how you configure your catalogs. If you centralise them, then everything gets stored on the CASO. If the CASO dies, so do your backups until you fix it. If you replicate/localise your catalogs, they get shared/localised on the CASO and MMS.

4. No idea on the limit, but at 1 stage I had 33 servers reporting into mine.

5. RAID1+0 would be more expensive but faster than RAID6. However, RAID6 would be sufficient if you're not backing up TBs of data. That's my opinion. All my backups, when run to disk, are to Iomega NAS with RAID5.

6. Get the license for Databases. You'd need 1 license PER DB server you want to backup. Not per DB.

7. Don't know enough information to tell you here. You need to decide whether or not the site will benefit from a dedupe backup or a traditional backup. If it is a single server, dedupe doesn't really help much in my opinion.

8. You can consider DIfferential/Incremental backups if need-be.

9. There should be a tab on the CASO that shows all your MMS servers. You can right-click a server and choose Properties. From there you can set the frequency on how often catalogs are replicated.

Thanks!

CraigV

Nasharat_Maner
Level 4
Employee

For the Q.No. 4,

• You should be able to work with 150-200 MMS servers in a CASO configuration.

RAVESTAR
Level 2

Hello Nasharat,

Thanks for your reply & jsut to compare what sort of specs you had on your CASO server?

Regards

Ravi

RAVESTAR
Level 2

Thanks Craig I will be working on my first site as a POC this week so I will post my feedback on how it goes thanks.