cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 2012 and Windows Agent

wadood
Level 2

I have a Symantec Backup Exec install which I am using to backup VMs (using windows agent) to a DELL DR4000 D2D appliance. Windows agents install fine on VMs and/or physical machines and backups go fine.

There is however something that I dont understand. The agent that installs on any system has an odbc connection that gives an error (when I click on configure) about missing a becatdrv.dll.

Capture.PNG

Is this a problem I have to correct? Why is it happening? This is only on the clients I am backing up. The server has the ODBC and it works and apparently the becatdrv.dll is present

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...do your backups complete? If so, ignore this...I've never played around with this at all.

Thanks!

wadood
Level 2

yes they do! i'm just worried about this. can anyone confirm he has the same behaviour too?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Looks like this is a known problem for BE 2010.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH167225

You might want to log a formal support case with Symantec to check whether the problem is present with BE 2012.  Before you do that, you might want to try registering the module as suggested in this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124919

wadood
Level 2

this issue with 2010 is quite different. in my case the agent has an odbc connection created that does not work because becatdrv.dll is not present or installed. what i am wondering is why would the agent need an odbc connection to the db? the server has it and it is working as becatdrv.dll is present and i am assuming it uses to connect to the sql db of the media server install.

very strange that googling doesnt show any similar cases

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no harm in registering the dll again.

wadood
Level 2

yes, of course. i am just trying to understand what is going on.

the case is i have over 40 agent installs on both virtual and physical machines and i've installed them both ways  manually and from backup exec server and they all have installed sucessfully without any problems.

the point is all of them have this issue the becatdrv.dll is missing. it does not get installed even tho the odbc is created as part of the agent install.

does anyone from symantec read this? or is there anyone here using backup exec 2012 other than me?