cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 2012 - media rotation question

jonnob
Level 4

Hi,

I recently purchased Symantec Backup Exec 2012 and would like to replicate our old NTbackup system (defined by our policies).

We currently have a media rotation system whereby we have 4 tapes that cycle through on a schedule:

Week 1 Sunday = Full 1

Week 1 Monday to Friday = Incremental 1

Week 2 Sunday = Full 2

Week 2 Monday to Friday = Incremental 2

Once they are full the tape is archived in a FIRESAFE and a new tape is created.

I am just wondering if someone can advise me on the best way to approach this media rotation, using USB HDDs. So far I have created a storage pool and assigned 4 different tasks to each of the USB HDDs. However, it doesn't seem obvious how I can specify the USB HDD to restore from in the event I need to restore back to an earlier date. Plus Symantec keeps complaining when the USB HDDs are disconnected (only 1 is connected at any given time and full USB HDDs will be archived in a FIRESAFE).

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See my article below on how to rotate your disks.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks-be-2012

When you do a restore, all you need to to is to pick a restore point and BE will find all the necessary backup sets to restore to that point.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See my article below on how to rotate your disks.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks-be-2012

When you do a restore, all you need to to is to pick a restore point and BE will find all the necessary backup sets to restore to that point.

jonnob
Level 4
Hi, Thanks for that. My only problem is that over time I could have many backup HDDs (roughly using 10 per year), and over a 4 year period it would become difficult to determine which backup HDD contains the restore points. When I used NTBackup all of the backups appeared within the specified tape drive (labeled) so I could easily open the latest one (or earlier if required) and restore in that manner. I could start a register to record the dates assigned to each HDD (start and end) but it just seems like extra work that didn't used to be required. cheers.

jonnob
Level 4
Hmm, just had a look on the server. I see 'backup sets' for each USB HDD. I guess this would provide the option to see the backups (including dates) for that HDD? Just a shame I cannot go there, right click one of the dates, then select files to restore from that date. Cheers.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You got to take note of the backup set that you want to restore and then specify that when you create your restore job.