Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 2012 support for VMWare ESXi 5.1 and vCenter 5.1

Jan_Jensen
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi

Does anyone know if we can expect support for VMWare eESXi 5.1 and vCenter 5.1 in Q4? Or we have to wait til next year.

Some of our customers have installed the latest ESXi and vCenter to supporting more than 192GB of RAM.

Right now image backup works but not GRT backup.

Kind regards and thanks i advance

Jan Jensen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jan,

Check the blog below...

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/quality-wins-every-time-vsphere-51-support-update

This will give you a better idea of where support currently lies.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV

Hi Jan,

Check the blog below...

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/quality-wins-every-time-vsphere-51-support-update

This will give you a better idea of where support currently lies.

Thanks!

Tallwood6
Level 3

Its doesnt really answer the question though it just points the finger at VMware, if symantec are working that closely with VMware then they should at least be able to tell us when VMware are looking to release an updated API for symentec to test against?

The fact of the matter is Symantecs competitors HAVE got products out that do support vsphere 5.1 and there are are large number of people who cant afford to wait for symantec to catch up!

CraigV

...can't tell you what to do, and I know 1 competitor that does have support, but the choice is yours.

Tallwood6
Level 3

It’s just immensely frustrating it’s taken over 2 months to conclude there are issues and it’s up to VMware to fix them when there are a NUMBER of solutions on the market which are already offering support with as far as I can tell no customer complaints.

If we could get our money back I would most defiantly switch to something else sad

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you switch to another product you would be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.  If the other product is using the current set of VMware API's, then they would be facing the bugs that Symantec has encountered when trying to use the API's.  Are you willing to risk your backups in the light of this?

I think it is unfair of you to want Symantec to reveal the date of the release of the new API's.  I don't think Symantec is in a positioin to do so even if they have the information.

Tallwood6
Level 3

Not so one competitor has commented they are not affected by the bug and is due to document why on Monday. Some as others have said have chosen to use vddk 5U1 to avoid the issue all together.

Comments made on other blogs suggest that there are easy enough work arounds “if software is implemented correctly then it can put VDDK processing in separate thread, and set timeouts on every VDDK API call, so jobs won’t hang, but might fail, and will succeed on retry.”

I’m no expert I’m just trying to work out like everyone else when to timetable a move to 5.1, many will have a critical business need to move to 5.1 so will be running the current version “unsupported” and many who can afford to may have no choice but to move to a competitor’s product in the light of this news.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I guess it is your choice as to whether you make the move.

Jan_Jensen
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi all

Thanks fore your input.

I have seen some positive backup's when using newest VMWare 5.1 build 838463

Apperently you have the posibility to select single files/object to restore. I have only seen simple test eks. restore one sharepoint object ore one file.

Kind regards

Jan Jensen