cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 2014 Encryption Recommendation

syed_jahanzaib
Level 5

We have 2 branch offices who are using Symantec backup exec 2014 on Windows 2008 R2 along with 

• IBM Tape Library TS3100 (LTO-5)
  • IBM Tape Drive Standalone (LTO-7)

What is the recommended method to apply encryption on the backup jobs? software or hardware?

Will adding software OR hardware encryption increases the backup time?

If Backup Exec windows is reinstalled, OR if we want to restore data from encrypted tapes on another backup exec server, then how we will going to restore data from these encrypted tapes ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Definitely, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Do use hardware encryption where possible.  This takes less time than software encryption and both will take more time than non-encrypted jobs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Backup Exec supports both hardware and software encryption.

Extremely important that you read all available documentation before you make a choice - not only on how to configure encryption, but also how to ensure that encryption keys are available for restores.
It is impossible to restore if encrytion key or passphrase is unavailable.

Encrytion is covered in Chapter 15 of BE Admin Guide:  https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/59226269-99535599-0/v53895058-99535599

Using encryption with Backup Exec

This topic includes the following information:

Software encryption

Hardware encryption

Encryption keys

Restricted keys and common keys

Pass phrases

Also read through 'About restoring encrypted data' in chapter 5.

My 2c - before you go ahead and configure encryption, please upgrade to a supported BE version. 
BE2014 ran out of support on November 7, 2018.   https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100038900.html
You may also want to migrate to newer OS as W2008 is nearing end of support from Microsoft.

If you choose hardware encrytion, ensure that maintenance on all of your hardware devices is up to date from the relevant vendor and remains up to date for as long as you need to restore from encrypted tapes. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Definitely, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Do use hardware encryption where possible.  This takes less time than software encryption and both will take more time than non-encrypted jobs.

From the screenshot below I can see hardware encryption NOT  supported in IBM LTO 7 Tape Drive.

This means that I should use Software Compression + Software Encryption? As I read somewhere that you should use one type, either hardware compression + hardware encryption OR software compresion + software  encryption ??? is it true?

no encrypt for be 2014.PNG

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  That is true.

Ok This is the Backup Job Log after done with Software Encryption + Software Compression. Most of the the data was Lotus Domino NSF mail files & domino folder backup as well.

Compression Type: Software
Encryption Type: Software
Software compression ratio: 1.6:1
Software compression ratio: 1.1:1
Software compression ratio: 1.4:1
Without Encryption , job was done in 6 hours, & with enabling the Enc+Compression , it completed in 6.5 hours. So additional of 1.5 hours was added.

Is there any way I can see or ensure that encryption is applied? or just showing in Log is enough for audit ?