cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 2014 - PV124T & Backup to tape directly (media sets)

access
Level 4

Hi,

I got a PV124T LTO6 auto loader. Got Backup Exec 2014 installed and up and running.

Good thing, we can have a single backup job for multiple servers in BE 2014.

I need to write to tape directly. Since, I dont have enough internal storage to backup to disks, I cannot  duplicate backup jobs to tape.

Question.

1. Can I have three backup jobs targetting three media sets on a the autoloader and load all the media sets on the autoloader at the same time?

For the Daily & Weekly media sets I plan just to leave them in the AutoLoader. The Monthly backup I will transfer to an offsite location.

Backup Job for Media Set Daily ---> Monday to Friday. Friday Full Backup. Monday to Thursday: Incremental (retention 5 days)

Backup Job for Media Set Full Weekly ---> Every Saturday Full Backup (retention 28 days)

Backup Job for Media Set Monthly  ---> Every Sunday Full Backup (retention 12 months)

2. Which media set for Full Backups do I need to restore if a disaster happens on Wednesday ? I know I need to restore the incremental backups from Monday to the Tuesday. But which full backups ?

3. Can OPP be lesser than APP. For example OPP is set to 2 days, while APP is set to 28 days?

4. Can I set APP to zero (0) because I don't want to append anything after the backup?

5. When does APP begin ? Does this start on the second I start writing to tape or the moment I set the APP setting ?

Thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) There is no restriction as to the number of media sets that you can use, other than 1 media set per job.  Obviously, all the jobs can target the tape library.

2) The definition of an incremental backup is that it backs up all the changes since the last incremental backup or the LAST full backup.  In your case, it would be the weekly or monthly full backups since they are done after your Friday full backups.

There is no need to do a weekly or monthly full backup on top of your Friday full backup.  You can just schedule your weekly full backups for Friday and your monthly backup also on Friday.  If they start at the exact same time, the less frequent monthly backup will supercede the weekly backup.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/superseding-jobs-be-2012

3) AP and OPP can be set independently and can be shorter or longer than each other.  If you do not want to append to your tapes, you should set the AP to 1 hr.  I got funny results when I set AP to 0 hr.

Read this document for a better understanding of OPP and AP.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5459

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) There is no restriction as to the number of media sets that you can use, other than 1 media set per job.  Obviously, all the jobs can target the tape library.

2) The definition of an incremental backup is that it backs up all the changes since the last incremental backup or the LAST full backup.  In your case, it would be the weekly or monthly full backups since they are done after your Friday full backups.

There is no need to do a weekly or monthly full backup on top of your Friday full backup.  You can just schedule your weekly full backups for Friday and your monthly backup also on Friday.  If they start at the exact same time, the less frequent monthly backup will supercede the weekly backup.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/superseding-jobs-be-2012

3) AP and OPP can be set independently and can be shorter or longer than each other.  If you do not want to append to your tapes, you should set the AP to 1 hr.  I got funny results when I set AP to 0 hr.

Read this document for a better understanding of OPP and AP.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5459

access
Level 4

Hi. pkh,

Thanks for the reply.

I have an additional question on the Media Sets..

I found this on the Admin Guide:

The append period starts when the first
backup job is written to this media

For example I have a media set of 4 tapes, as I understand they have the same attributes such as OPP & APP.

Questions:

1. Will the OPP expire at the same time for all tapes of the media set or is it a per tape basis depending on when was the specific tape last written to?

2. Will the APP expire at the same time or is it a per tape basis depending on when was the specific tape first written to ? (The first second data was started to be written to tape)

3. You adviced one job per media set.

Can we have multiple jobs write to the same media set ? For Backup Exec 2012, as I remember we could have multiple jobs write to the same tape or tapes.

Thanks,

Paul