cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Symantec][Backup Exec Catalog Driver]

ldenes
Level 3

Alright here is the situation and I have seen 1-2 messages on the Symantec forum with regards to this item, but sadly the recommended solutions did not work. When I try to restore individual mailboxes (or messages for a mailbox) form our Exchange 2007 it gives me the following error when I expand the Microsoft Information Store->First Storage Group-> date of restore->Mailbox Database and I cannot see any of the mailboxes (under Mailbox Database):

[Symantec][Backup Exec Catalog Driver]

Oddly enough it works fine (i.e. I can see individual users, etc…) for the past 2 days (last two backups), but get the error at the point described above for any date prior to the last two days. We are utilizing Backup Exec 11d (+ Exchange Agent) which is installed on the actual Exchange 2007 machine and the backup is going to a local folder on that server. Space and memory ought to be fine as the drive with the c:\temp (the default location for staging temporary restore data) has more than 120GB free and the server has 4GB memory. The entire Exchange backup is less than 100GB in size. Once the local to disk backup has been achieved (it rarely fails) the backup is then sent (via another copy job) to a NAS type device were we have secured approximately 6 months worth of backups. I have verified that we run Symantec Backup Exec 11d Rev. 7170 (same for the console) and I did several LiveUpdate sessions to make sure it is current. It already had Service Pack 3 and it now lists Service Pack 4 after the full update cycle. I have also verified every item suggested by Dean Bliss in the thread below.

(https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=115&message.id=13206)

I verified that the beremote.exe file is version 11.0.7170 and that the VirtFile driver is there and started. The path on the media server (in our case also the Exchange Server 2007) for staging temporary restore data when restoring individual items, etc… is set to a folder on a volume that has enough free space for the entire size of your Exchange databases. It is set to the default c:\temp but the drive it is on has more than 120 GB space and the total job is less than 100GB. "Enable legacy mailbox backup" is indeed unchecked. In the Exchange backup job we made sure that only the Microsoft Information Store is selected and we are not using the AOFO. "Enable the restore of individual items..." is checked (GRT) and we have tried "Backup from the ACTIVE copy only" as well as the passive (the one set right now) one. The suggestion at the end of that thread is to change the Disk Space Reserve from 100GB to 10GB on the backup folder did not seem to work for us and the problem continues. This is now becoming a production critical issue as it impacts our ability to restore mail. HELP! Thanks in advance for your time and insights. I can post screenshots if needed.

2 REPLIES 2

ldenes
Level 3
Sorry forgot to add that the Exchange Server 2007 (i.e. also our media server) is Windows 2003 SP2 Standard x64bit edition.

Anup
Level 6
Certified

This error can come if the Exchange Management tools version do not match on both server.

They should have same rollup patches and same service packs.

Try to duplicate your old backups again to another B2D folder , as your new backups seems to be working.