cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec Service Account Login Failure Error on SQL Server Clustered

noosaG
Level 2

Hi, We are trying to troubleshoot a multiple login attempt when our backup exec run to backup our database backup files (.bak, .trn extension). We only try to backup the backup drive not the entire drive where the mdf and ldf resides. We are puzzled why the backup exec need to connect to SQL Server (we are not backing up the physical file of the database)? The backup service account is not create on SQL and we believe we shouldn't add it because we really dont need to as we dont backup the database only the .bak files. How can we solve this login attempt issue?

On our SQL Server we are getting this error every time backup exec runs:

Login failed for user 'symantec/ourbackupserviceaccount'. Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided. [CLIENT: ip of server]

Details:

Symantec Backup Exec 15 - Version 14.2.1180 (Capacity Edition) under Windows Server 2012 R2

Symantec Backup Exec Agent Utility - 14.2 Rev 1180.0

SQL Server is under clustered setup

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Why are you doing a 2-stage backup (backup using SQL Server utilities and then backup the backup files using BE) when you can just backup the SQL Server databases directly using BE?

Your problem could be due to the SQL Server option is enabled by default on your edition of BE.  If you don't want to backup your SQL Server databases directly using BE, you might need to disable the SQL Server option in BE

We backup our databases using native SQL Server backup then the BE should only be backing up the drive where .bak files resides to DD. Our issue is on backup service account trying to login to SQL Server. Yes, We don't need BE to backup the databases.

@pkh wrote:

Why are you doing a 2-stage backup (backup using SQL Server utilities and then backup the backup files using BE) when you can just backup the SQL Server databases directly using BE?

Your problem could be due to the SQL Server option is enabled by default on your edition of BE.  If you don't want to backup your SQL Server databases directly using BE, you might need to disable the SQL Server option in BE

Can you show me where we can disable this setting? btw, currently the setting is set to only backing up the drive where the .bak files and still getting a login failure of backup service account in SQL.

Thanks in advance

Same issue on my side.  Did you ever figure this out?

I am only backing up at the file level, not the SQL level (in backup exec) but I can see from the  SQL server itself that the backup exec service account is attempting to log on to the SQL server.