cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec & Symantec System Recovery 2013 Compatibility

TheKid7
Level 3

I currently have a NAS Server (Windows Storage Server 2012 64 bit).  I would like to backup data (Files/Folders) from this Server to a Dell TL2000 Tape Backup.  I currently have Symantec System Recovery 2013 installed on this Server to perform periodic Image backups of the Operating System Partition.  I found out that Symantec System Recovery 2013 does not support backing up files/folders to a Tape Backup.  I have seen statements that Symantec Backup Exec does support backing up files/folders to a Dell TL2000 Tape Backup.

Questions:

1.  Are there any compatiblity issues (conflicts) with having both Symantec Backup Exec and Symantec System Recovery 2013 installed and running on the same Server?

2.  Does Symantec Backup Exec have good compatibility with backing up files/folders to a Dell TL2000 Tape Backup?  If yes, which version of Symantec Backup Exec is recommended?

Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TheKid7
Level 3

It was found out that the reason that I could not connect to the Dell TL2000 using iSCSI Initiator is that I failed to install the data cable between the Dell TL2000 chassis and the newly installed iSCSI card.

Symantec Backup Exec 2014 can now see the Dell TL2000.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I am not aware of any issues running BE & SSR on the same server, but I haven't tried it myself.

BE 2014 supports Windows Storage Server 2012 (on the SCL) and the TL2000 library (on the HCL), so I think you should work fine.  Links to HCL and SCL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH205797

Where did you see "Symantec Backup Exec does support backing up files/folders to a Dell TL2000 Tape Backup"?  I don't think that is true for any tape library.  Backing up files is what BE has done for years.

TheKid7
Level 3

Thank you for your comments.

I found a link for a Symantec Backup Exec 2014 60 Day Trial.  I am in the process of downloading the Trial.  I will give it a Try before buying.

Will a Standard License purchased from a Reseller work on the Trial if I decide to make the purchase?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you purchase your licence, you can just install the licence in your existing trial installation and you will be licenced.  You don't have to re-install BE.

TheKid7
Level 3

Thank you.

So far I have not been able to get the Dell TL2000 Tape Drive System to show up in Symantec Backup Exec 2014.

1.  Are there any special steps that I need to take to get the Dell TL2000 Tape Drive System to show up?  The Dell TL2000 is located on the same network.  Windows Firewall is turned off.  I can easily access the Tape Backup's Web Interface using Internet Explorer 10.

2.  Should there be a Storage Device for the Dell TL2000 showing up under Windows Device Manager?

Thanks in Advance.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
How is the tape system attached to the media server? If the media server is virtual, then accessing a physical tape drive is not supported. Of the take system does not show up in Device Manager then BE cannot use it. You must work with the tape drive vendor to get it recognized by Windows

TheKid7
Level 3

When you say Media Server, what is the definition of a Media Server?

The setup that I have is a Dell NX3200 NAS Server that I want to periodically backup the contents (files/folders) of the Data partition to the Dell TL2000 Tape Backup System.  Symantec Backup Exec 2014 Trial is installed on the Dell NX3200 NAS Server OS partition.  The Dell NAS is connected to the Dell TL2000 via a network switch.

Today, I contacted Dell Support concerning whether or not it would help to install some Dell TL2000/TL4000 Windows Drivers.  Dell has not yet responded.

Thanks.

TheKid7
Level 3

I found the Media Server definition:  "The Microsoft Windows server where Backup Exec is installed and the Backup Exec services are running."

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/glossary/define.jsp?letter=m&word=media-server

Dell Support responded:

"The TL2000 should be using the Microsoft  driver if your using Backup Exec. It will be listed in Device Manager under Medium Changes as (Unknown Medium Changer)

Regarding the unit not being seen in Backup Exec, you may need to contact Symantec for support."

Regarding the Dell Drivers:

"Normally the Dell TL2000/TL4000 tape drive driver is required when the operating system or backup application does not include a driver for the tape drive. or when using a Path failover feature specific to backup software and the drive.

So unless you’re using Path failover for the tape drive you do not want to install these drivers."

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Unless you have the optional iSCSI module installed in the TL2000, it needs to be connected to a physical Backup Exec server via SAS or FC.  When it is attached correctly, the library and drives show up in Windows Device Manager.

TheKid7
Level 3

An iSCSI card came with the TL2000.  It is still in the shrinkwrap packaging.

So if I do not have SAS or Fiber Channel available, then I will need to shutdown the TL2000, unplug it, remove the card which has Gigabit Ethernet, Serial and USB connectors, install the iSCSI card, connect the iSCSI card to the Gigabit Ethernet Switch, and power on the TL2000.  Then I would install the iSCSI drivers on the Media Server.  Are these the basic steps that I would neet to take?  Also, Dell recommends that dedicated switches be use for the Media Server to TL2000 network path.  I don't have a dedicated switch available.  Since the backup traffic would only be periodic, would a modern Gigabit Ethernet Switch be able to handle this backup traffic along with other traffic?

Thank you.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I will need to shutdown the TL2000, unplug it, remove the card which has Gigabit Ethernet, Serial and USB connectors, install the iSCSI card

I think (please verify) that you can have both cards installed at once.  The rest of your steps are basically correct.  Please make sure that what you are using is on the HCL and SCL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH205797

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...all vendors recommend using a dedicated switch, and in big environments, or environments with very sensitive systems, this might be worth it.

SMall environments, not so especially if you run your backups at night. A normal GB switch is fine for backups.

Dell wants you to buy a separate device to create a backup VLAN in effect, but then every server being backed up also needs a separate NIC to cater for this...costs therefore increase!

Thanks!

TheKid7
Level 3

I have the iSCSI card installed in the Dell TL2000 with the IP Addressing configured for my network.  I turned on the iSCSI Windows Services.

I can successfully ping the iSCSI's NIC #1's IP Address from the Media Server.  However, I am unable to connect using the iSCSI Initiator from the Media Server.  I used Quick Connect (Dell TL2000 iSCSI's NIC #1's IP Address) on the iSCSI Initiator's Targets Tab and I got the message under Progress Report:  No Targets available for Login using Quick Connect.

I added an entry for iSCSI in the Windows Services file (port 3260 tcp) (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc).

Please offer suggestions on how to Troubleshoot not being able to connect to the Dell TL2000 iSCSI from the Media Server.

Thank you.

TheKid7
Level 3

Is it possible to make the Media Server an iSNS Server?

I have read that using an iSNS Server should be better for discovering and maintaining the connection between the Media Server and the Dell TL2000 Tape System.

Thank you.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What you are trying to do is not conventional.  While the OS of your NAS can be used for a media server, as you have found out, it is not easy to make it into a media server.  You are now doing two things at once

1) trying to get an unconventional setup going, and

2) evaluate BE

Most of your questions right now is pertaining to the first and they are not really questions related to BE.

I would suggest you get a physical machine and load BE to evaluate it.  If you decide that you want BE, then you can decide whether you want to go through the pain of making your NAS a media server.

TheKid7
Level 3

It was found out that the reason that I could not connect to the Dell TL2000 using iSCSI Initiator is that I failed to install the data cable between the Dell TL2000 chassis and the newly installed iSCSI card.

Symantec Backup Exec 2014 can now see the Dell TL2000.