cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec won't detect library tape

oserranilla
Level 3

Hi,

I'm using symantec backup exec 2014 with HP 1/8 G2 Autoloader using LTO-6 Ultrium RW tape.

My setup won't detect the tape inside the robotic library. Done setting up the Barcode rules and robotic library.

Any advise will be much appreciate.

16 REPLIES 16

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

So you can see the robotics (Unknown medium changer) and drive inside WIndows Device Manager, and it displays properly in BE itself? You're also using the Symantec drivers for the tape drive too in Windows, correct?

If so, then stop the BE services, and open up the autoloader's web front-end, and see if you see the tape in there.

Also, remove the barcode rules, run a Scan/Inventory and see if the tape shows up inside BE. If it does, then the rules are possibly not correct.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you connect to the tape library using its Web interface, can you see the tapes in the slots?

If you are using barcode labels, do the barcode labels conform to the HP specifications?

oserranilla
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Your correct. im still finding how to go to autoloader it just pass on to me the task.

Can you enlighten me to the web frot end. i think in there i can see the prblem.

It detect in device manager and the BE detect tape unknown.

oserranilla
Level 3

Hi pkh,

I think i will not used the barcode i will used the partitions library.

My problem now going to web interface.. Will you help me going to the web interface.

Thank you,

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Consult the library's user manual

CraigV

You need to have done the following:

1. Connected a LAN cable to the NIC on the autoloader.

2. Stop the BE services, and log onto the autoloader and configure the NIC settings. You'd use your browser to do so.

3. Do the necessary check.

The link for the autoloader's manuals is below:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/manualsResults/?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_e97ce00a6f76436cc859bfdeb053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3Daction%253Dmanualslist%257Ccontentid%253DUser-Guide-%252528how-to-use%252529%257Clang%253Den&javax.portlet.tpst=e97ce00a6f76436cc859bfdeb053ce01&sp4ts.oid=3319912&ac.admitted=1419758965897.876444892.492883150

...sorry for the HUGE link!

oserranilla
Level 3

Hi Craig,

I was able to open the web interface. The drive slot tell is full.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What is the result of the "Inventory" job from Backup Exec ?

oserranilla
Level 3

Dear VJware,

Here's the result for the inventory.

Library error - barcode rules have detected incompatible storage media in the robotic library.  
The barcode rules that are enabled in the Backup Exec Management Command Line Interface for the library have detected incompatible media in the slot. Either a barcode rule does not exist for the barcoded media in the slot, or the library does not have a compatible tape drive for the media in the slot as specified by a barcode rule.

Kindly advise.

Thank you,

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Disable the barcode rules

oserranilla
Level 3

Dear pkh,

I remove the barcode to not used any but i encounter error.

An error with the Backup Exec administration console has occurred.  The administration console will close when you click OK. To restart the console, click the Backup Exec icon or click Start > All Programs > Symantec Backup Exec.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at BackupExec.UI.ViewModel.BarcodeRulesViewModel..ctor(List`1 barcodeRuleCollection)
   at BackupExec.UI.ViewModel.BarcodeRulesWizardViewModel..ctor(List`1 barcodeRuleCollection)
   at BackupExec.UI.ViewModel.ConfigureStorageWizardViewModel.EndQuery(DeviceTypeToLoad deviceTypeToLoad)
   at BackupExec.UI.ViewModel.ConfigureStorageWizardViewModel..ctor(String startPageName, DeviceTypeToLoad defaultDeviceTypesToLoad, Boolean isInvokedbySpecificMediaServer, MediaServerViewModel tempSelectedMediaServer)
   at BackupExec.UI.ViewModel.StorageCommandingHelper.ExecuteConfigureBarcodeRulesCommand(Object sender, WPFCommand command)
   at Symantec.HRO.UI.WPFFramework.WPFCommandBinding.OnExecute(Object item, WPFCommand wpfCommand)
   at Symantec.HRO.UI.WPFFramework.WPFMultiCommand.Execute(WPFCommand wpfCommand, IList items)
   at Symantec.HRO.UI.WPFFramework.WPFCommandBinding.OnExecute(Object item, WPFCommand wpfCommand)
   at Symantec.HRO.UI.WPFFramework.WPFCommandBinding.HandleExecuted(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Input.CommandBinding.OnExecuted(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.ExecuteCommandBinding(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e, CommandBinding commandBinding)
   at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.FindCommandBinding(CommandBindingCollection commandBindings, Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e, ICommand command, Boolean execute)
   at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.FindCommandBinding(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e, ICommand command, Boolean execute)
   at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.OnExecuted(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.RoutedCommand.ExecuteImpl(Object parameter, IInputElement target, Boolean userInitiated)
   at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.TransferEvent(IInputElement newSource, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.RoutedCommand.ExecuteImpl(Object parameter, IInputElement target, Boolean userInitiated)
   at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

oserranilla
Level 3

I was able to disable the barcode but when i run inventory is says Physical Volume Library Drive or Robot paused, offline, or disabled. 

When i run the Import media now it will promt "media request please insert media into the ff slots 1" but it already have media in the slot

CraigV

...the media needs to be overwritable or appendable, so check that.

Otherwise, designate a tape you can manually erase using BE, and remove all the other tapes from the autoloader.

Once done, run the backup job again and see what it does.

Thanks!

oserranilla
Level 3

Anyone can remote my problem to check. still can't get work.

Thanks

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Pls log a support case and then a support engineer can remote in to your setup.

oserranilla
Level 3

Thanks VJware i already log the Case #07955867