cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Licensing guidance

swapz123
Level 3

Hi,

I am looking help for Symantec licensing details. before purchasing this solution I need pure suggestion for licensing.

I want to cover 3 servers with system recovery. servers are 1>MS-sql 2>File Server 3>Ms-exchange. I have a IBM tape Library too.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

For SQL 2000 ,please check the link below of BE 2012 SCL

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175581

Check point 13 in above link

13. Microsoft SQL 2000 (32-bit) is supported on an 64-bit server, but requires an update from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=913100

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB

You need 1 Agent for Application & Database per SQL and Exchange server and RAWS for file server.

So you need a core product license for the media server + 2 Agent for apps & DB + 1 RAWS

If your tape library contains more than 1 tape drive than you need 1 LEO per additional tape drive

swapz123
Level 3

Hi Amol,

Thanks for revert; please acorrect me in below as my understanding on your reply is;

3 License of agent (1-for sql / 1-for Exchange/ 1-for file server)

1 License for Media Server

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently we have all the servers with 2003r2 32 bit; it can be upgraded to 2008r2 in this case what kind off licensing i need to purchase; exchnage version we are using its 2003 this will also upgaraded to Ms-Exchange 2010

My Aim is the license which I am going to purchase which should to support my current and future setup too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The  agents about we are talking is it a EXE file? this all agents idintify the application and DB or its a default exe file provided by symantec which can be identitify by Backup application?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a single seperate server (Win2k8-R2) there I will install a symantec exc applicatin this server is attached to Tape Library (Single Tape Drive) here I need Symantec backup Exec License 1 Qty?

Please Find the attachment; thanking you in advance.

AmolB

3 License of agent (1-for sql / 1-for Exchange/ 1-for file server)

1 License for Media Server

You need below licenses.

Core Product license: This is for the media server.

2 Agent for Apps & Database: 1 for SQL & 1 for Exchange.

1 RAWS: for the file server

Currently we have all the servers with 2003r2 32 bit; it can be upgraded to 2008r2 in this case what kind off licensing i need to purchase; exchnage version we are using its 2003 this will also upgaraded to Ms-Exchange 2010

My Aim is the license which I am going to purchase which should to support my current and future setup too.

Licenses are not OS specific, same license will work for Win 2003 and Win 2008.

The  agents about we are talking is it a EXE file? this all agents idintify the application and DB or its a default exe file provided by symantec which can be identitify by Backup application?

To backup any application or database, you need to install RAWS( for windows) and RALUS (UNIX)

on the client machine and relevant license keys on the media server. License key on the media

server enables RAWS to backup App &DB

I have a single seperate server (Win2k8-R2) there I will install a symantec exc applicatin this server is attached to Tape Library (Single Tape Drive) here I need Symantec backup Exec License 1 Qty?

For Single Tape Drive in a library you do not need any additional license. For every additional 

(2nd drive onwards) you would require a LEO (library expansion option)

swapz123
Level 3

Hi Amol,

Thanks for this important information ! This will definitely help me in purchase of licensing.

One more Solution I got I would like to share  with you as below;

1 Nos backup Exec 2012 (Media Server)

3 Nos license of Symantec System Recovery

3 Nos License of agent (This agents will help to pull the data to backups Server)

Using this Backup we will restore either full image of the servers on any or same Hardware ! or we can restore Partial mailboxes or Perticular Files (Of the File Server).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SQL version we are using its a 2000 Backup Exec will support to this version?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

For SQL 2000 ,please check the link below of BE 2012 SCL

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175581

Check point 13 in above link

13. Microsoft SQL 2000 (32-bit) is supported on an 64-bit server, but requires an update from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=913100

Thanks

swapz123
Level 3

Hi

We are Using SQL 2000 On Windows 2003 R2, this above link has Information about windows compatability of SQL.

My question is Backup Exec is installed on Windows 2008R2,and Agent is installed on My current SQL server. Will this BAckup Exec pull the Backup on Tape or On drive?

I got Some Information like Symantec BE not Supports SQL 2000 !

Thanks

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

As said above BE 2012 support SQL 2000  as per the SCL I have shared with you above,Please check page no 24.

SQL Server 2000 SP3a x86-32, x86-64 Windows

SQL Server [13] 2000 SP4 x86-32, x86-64 Windows

Yes you can backup the SQl server databases installed on your remote SQL server to tape or disk, you just have to install the license for SQL that is application and database license on Media server & then install remote agent on server were SQL is installed & you can select the databases to backup to tape or disk

Also please check the best pracitsces link below to backup SQL server

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74429

Hope that helps

Thanks