cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup exec 2010 SP3 Backup Virtual Machine

f_istaitieh
Level 2

Dears,

I need to know, if I want to backup virtual machine (exchange server 2013), can I do this while it running since I can’t keep it off or in save state for long time.

If yes, please explain how, if no please advise the best practice to do this.

Best regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You would be able to backup the Virtual machine as a whole using a VMWare / Hyper-V agent. This does happen while the Exchange Services are active.

Alternatively, you can use a Database and Applications agent and backup Exchange database in a traditional way.

Eitherway, the GRT functionality is not available yet.

Edit: Donaldis right, you need backup Exec 2012 to be able to perform a backup using database and application. However, using VMWare / Hyper-V agent, you could still backup the whole Exchange VM (Non GRT) using BE 2010

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...yes you can do it while running, either with the AVVI agent or via the application agent and the RAWS agent installed.

Thanks!

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I may be mistaken but i dont believe that 2010 r3 SP3 supports exchange 2013. I was under the impression that this was only supported in 2012 SP2 see release notes below .. 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH208601

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you are right, and we are both wrong.

The OP would then need to upgrade to BE 2012 with SP2.

Thanks!

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

You would be able to backup the Virtual machine as a whole using a VMWare / Hyper-V agent. This does happen while the Exchange Services are active.

Alternatively, you can use a Database and Applications agent and backup Exchange database in a traditional way.

Eitherway, the GRT functionality is not available yet.

Edit: Donaldis right, you need backup Exec 2012 to be able to perform a backup using database and application. However, using VMWare / Hyper-V agent, you could still backup the whole Exchange VM (Non GRT) using BE 2010

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Agreed (have edited my post) on the point regarding Agent based backup of Exchange.

However using Virtual Agent backup (Hyper-V / VMWare) you could backup the complete VM - non GRT using BE 2010 R3 SP3.