cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup is continuously running without saving data to the tape.

roneladmin
Level 2

Dear,

We have New Symantec Backup Exec 2012 after we installed the update of the software our backup scheduled also not working properly. The scheduled backup is continuously running but it's not saving any data to the tape even 1 bytes. Is any one can encoutered and solved this issue..

Thanks,

Ronel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is this a local server backup or a remote server backup ?

Have you tried recreating the backup job definition ?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Ronel,

There may be a pending alert (like: Insert overwritable or appendable media). Check the job and see if this is so, and what it says. Then respond accordingly...

I also assume you're using the Symantec drivers for the tape drive? If not, run tapeinst.exe to do so, and if this is an autoloader or library, make sure that in Windows Device Manager the robotics shows up as Unknown Medium Changer.

Thanks!!

roneladmin
Level 2

Good Day,

Thanks for the info Craig but I didn't see any alert in my Job status as you said in your comments like (Insert overwritable or appendable media) and also I found out during backup process it appear "Status: Queued Operation: None". and the backup keeps on running. I already make test run but all test run is successfull. 

Capture1234.JPG

Yes in my Windows Device Manager the robotics show up us Unknown Medium Changer. 

Thanks,

VJware
Level 6

Did the full backup complete successfully ? If you start this incremental backup to a Disk Storage, does it run with a byte count ?

CraigV

...is this installed on Windows Server 2003? If so, make sure Removable Storage service (RSM) is stopped and disabled)...

Thanks!

roneladmin
Level 2

@ VJware

Same issue iether Full Backup or Incremental, data will not take backup to the tape even 1 single byte also we tried already to backup to a Disk storage no benefits.

@CraigV

We installed the system in Windows Server 2008

I dont know maybe after I forgot to monitor our backup last week and I found out our backup is not running and superseded from the server schedule backup and after that this issue appeared but since last two weeks from the beginning we installed this system everyting is working fine.

Really I dont know how to fix this issue.

Thanks,

Artegic
Level 6

Looks like this old problem:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/solve-job-making-no-progress-problem

You may want to vote for that idea in the hope of creating a bit of an incentive for Symantec to finally address it.

VJware
Level 6

Is this a local server backup or a remote server backup ?

Have you tried recreating the backup job definition ?

CraigV

...have you tried to restart the BE services, and then run the backup again?

Thanks!

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

Look at the status bar at the bottom of the Backup Exec UI, in the Alerts section. There may be a pending alert(s) next to the purple square box with the question mark in it. Or, there may be an alert(s) next to the yellow tranlge with the ! in it.

Or, click on the Home button to view the Active Alerts. Be sure to select 'All' from the 'Time' drop down menu. See if there are any pending alerts listed.

roneladmin
Level 2

Thanks all for the info and support guys, I did all your advice but the last thing I did was re-creating the backup job operation and I found out that our vendor purchase the Symantec Quick Edition which intended only for one server license.

I hope we will upgrade this to full BE..

123.JPG

Thanks a lot really appreciated.

Ronel