cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Live Update for BE2010 R3

sazzad
Level 4

I just have upgraded my BE 12.5 to 2010R3. It's working fine now. I just discover that a live update is available for this BE.

Please have a look over the snap. Do i need to go ahead? Please note that, i haven't run any update or hotfix after installing BE2010 R3 on it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...go straight to BE 15. I don't think you have support for BE 2010 R3 anymore, and if you have maintenance, the upgrade is as simple as getting the new license files, downloading the software and running the upgrade.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Uncheck BE2012 and BE15 options and proceed with the download\installing of SP4 for BE2010 R3.

In future you should think about upgrading to BE15 (latest version of Backup Exec).

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...go straight to BE 15. I don't think you have support for BE 2010 R3 anymore, and if you have maintenance, the upgrade is as simple as getting the new license files, downloading the software and running the upgrade.

Thanks!

sazzad
Level 4

Thanks for the prompt response. I have done as you said. After installing SP4 for BE2010 R3, i have searched again for live update & there is a hotfix available. Have a look over the attachment.

Should i go ahead?

Colin_Weaver

OK the 2012 and 15 lines in LiveUpdate are just adverts/alerts about the availability of newer versions, if you check them and complete the live update wizard they won't actually upgrade to those versiosn (as you cannot do that type of upgrade via LiveUpdate). However checking them will cause them to be removed from the list

With regards Hotfixes the way LiveUpdate works is that any hotfixes that depend on a Service Pack being installed first will not be displayed in LiveUpdate until that Service Pack has been installed.

Hence when you install a new version of Backup Exec you should always

1) Run LiveUpdate to apply the latest SP

2) Run LiveUpdate again (possibily after a reboot) to check if there are any other hotfixes visible (Basically keep running LiveUpdate until nothing is listed. )

sazzad
Level 4

Hi CraigV,

Thanks for the recommendaion!

Please do note that, my media server is Windows 2003 SP2 & so far i know BE2010 R3 is the last edition of BE that support W2k3 SP2.

Also i was informed by your Symantec support team that, BE 12.5 is obsolete & i need to upgrade it to BE 2010 R3 for receiving further support. I am little bit confused now. Would you please clarify this issue?

Colin_Weaver

You need to start updating things (Operating Systems, Hardware and Backup Software) as Microsoft is about to or possibly even has stopped support for Windows 2003

The support status for Backup Exec 2010 R3 is available here

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/backup-exec.15047.html

When you go to this site, look near the bottom of the right hand side bar and against the Select Version box, change it to 2010.R3.4 (this means SP4 for 2010 R3) 

This lists 3 dates.

End of life date of March 5, 2012 (this is actually when we released BE 2012)

End of Engineering Life of September 5, 2014 (30 months after end of life date) - this means that from this date until EOSL date, no further in depth investigations into new fault conditions will be undertaken by technical support (as engineering will not be involved at all) . Technical Support will continue to offer advice or reasonable efforts answers based on existing documentation and knowledge only (so you can still speak to us and get assistance). We call this period partially supported.

End of Support Life/EOSL of Feb 1st 2017 (7 years from the release of the first 2010 version)  this is when we stop accepting  customer cases for this version.

So yes whilst you are still supported to run 2010 R3, it is only partial support as no further engineering action will be taken against this version. WIth the addition of Microsoft discontinuing support as well  you may struggle to get full solutions to any future problems you may have.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The end of support for Windows 2003 is July 14, 2015