cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec OstDrv devices using up LEO licences

DavidSte
Level 4

Hi,

I've just installed BE2014 - CASO + MMS - and configured a dedupe store on the MMS. 

For some reason the dedupe devices are showing up as 10x Tape drives with a Product id "OstDrv" and Firmware "CAGM" and they're using up the LEO licences installed on the MMS.

There is actually a tape library with 4 drives (two disabled/offline) connected to the MMS

Any ideas on why they're showing up?  BE2012 didn't show them.  I've checked the registry for the HKLM\Software\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\User Interface\ShowHiddenMedia key but it's not present.

Cheers, David

7 REPLIES 7

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Where are these OstDrv's showing up?

Dedupe uses these internally as a sort of virtual library where the number of drives equals your dedupe concurency.  But they shouldn't show up in the BE gui and they shouldn't be using up your LEO licenses..

The registry key you mentioned is for media, not drives, so that would have no impact.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Would you post the adamm.log ? Thanks.

DavidSte
Level 4

I'm seeing them in the Storage tab as per attached image

DavidSte
Level 4

And here's the adamm.log

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I don't know if the issues are related, but the screen shot & adamm.log definitely show something is wrong with the IBM 3573 device discovery.  The library is reporting that it has 4 tape drives, but BE is only able to see two tape drives.

Are there really 4 drives in the 3573?  Are you attempting to use a logical library (aka hardware partitioning)?  How many tape drives do you want BE to see & use?  Once this is resolved, it may help your dedupe issue.

DavidSte
Level 4

There are 4 drives present in the library, but only two are connected to the server so this is expected.  We have the same setup on another server (BE2012) and it doesn't show the OstDrv devices.

Thanks, David

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try this. Disable the client-side deduplication option from the DeDupe folder settings and also set the concurrency to 1. Restart the BE services on the BE media server and the remote agent service on the remote servers. Check if the OstDrv devices are now shown or not in the UI.