cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Protection Engine for NAS's services stopped after backup NDMP by Backup Exec 2012

MSI_iqbal
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Dear All,

I have a windows server that i installed Symantec Protection Engine for NAS 7.0 and Backup Exec 2012 SP4. I scan my NAS via RPC protocol and backup it via NDMP. I have configure Symantec Protection Engine for NAS 7.0's liveupdate.conf file, its service running by Domain Admin Account. My NAS is presented as CIFS.

At some point, our user complain that they cannot access CIFS. We find it is because Symantec Protection Engine for NAS's services is stopped, and its stopped always after Backup Exec 2012 doing backup in afteroffice hours. After SPE for NAS into 7.0.x.x the problem still not solved. As alternative solution we configure post command in backup policy to start SPE services right after backup process done. 

There is anyone have a same case with me? 

Best regards,

Iqbal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Just got an update. Usual recommendation is to make SPE a stand-alone server and not bundle it with another software (BE in this case.) Possibly what's happening is that during the backup, the touched files are sent by the NAS to the SPE and it could be a possibility of the SPE being overloaded causing the SPE's services to stop.

Are there any relevant events of the services stopping in the windows event viewer ? I would recommend logging a formal support case with the SPE folks to investigate this further.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6

What is the make/model of the NAS ? If it's a supported model, then you could try evaluating the NDMP option and backup this NAS via NDMP and not CIFS to check if this problem reoccurs or not.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Yes the model is supported (NetApp). Yes I backup this via NDMP and not CIFS

VJware
Level 6

Let me check with the SPE for NAS folks if they can share any insight on this... Do you happen to have any support case logged for this ?

VJware
Level 6

Just got an update. Usual recommendation is to make SPE a stand-alone server and not bundle it with another software (BE in this case.) Possibly what's happening is that during the backup, the touched files are sent by the NAS to the SPE and it could be a possibility of the SPE being overloaded causing the SPE's services to stop.

Are there any relevant events of the services stopping in the windows event viewer ? I would recommend logging a formal support case with the SPE folks to investigate this further.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Dear Vivek,

Thanks Vivek for your solution, but i guess our environment is lack of resource to make a stand-alone server for SPE. Then, I should open this case for SPE, not for BE right? 

Best regards,

Iqbal

VJware
Level 6

That's right. If needed, the SPE team can communicate with the BE team as well.