cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Vray License Advantage

Jethin_krishnan
Not applicable

Hi,

Recently, i quoted my client for 4 vray licenses for backup solution. They have 1 physical server with 4 processors and in which 2 virtual machines are running. Please let me know the advantage of going for 4 licenses and why cant he go for single license for this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Be careful when you talk about processors with regards to the V-Ray licence.  You need a V-Ray licence for each occupied socket.  If you have one socket occupied by a chip with 4 processors, you only need 1 V-Ray licence, not 4.

You would go for a V-Ray licence if you need a lot of Agent for Applications and Databases licences to backup things, like SQL Server, Exchange, etc.  These licences come free with the V-Ray edition whereas if you buy a hypervisor licence for the host, you need to pay for these licences.  You got to do your sums to see which one is more advantageous.  Offhand, in your case, I think it might be cheaper to buy 1 hypervisor licence and the necessary Agent for Applications and Databases licences.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Be careful when you talk about processors with regards to the V-Ray licence.  You need a V-Ray licence for each occupied socket.  If you have one socket occupied by a chip with 4 processors, you only need 1 V-Ray licence, not 4.

You would go for a V-Ray licence if you need a lot of Agent for Applications and Databases licences to backup things, like SQL Server, Exchange, etc.  These licences come free with the V-Ray edition whereas if you buy a hypervisor licence for the host, you need to pay for these licences.  You got to do your sums to see which one is more advantageous.  Offhand, in your case, I think it might be cheaper to buy 1 hypervisor licence and the necessary Agent for Applications and Databases licences.