cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symentec Exec Backup backing up Windows Server 2012R2 virtual machine

Towdee
Level 2

Hi guys,

I have Symantec Backup Exec 2012 and I'm trying to backup Windows Server 2012R2 virtual machine.

I've created backup job and tested credential - everything is green and OK. Backup runs and everything looks fine.

But aftre backup finnishes I get: Completed status: Failed; Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.

Interesting thing is, that my data is backed up and I can restor files and system state.

Any Ideas?

Lukas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...Windows Server 2012 R2 is not supported by Backup Exec 2012 at all. You need to upgrade to BE 2014 at a minimum, and BE 15 preferably as this is the newest version of the software. Read the SCL below:

https://symwisedownload.symantec.com/resources/sites/SYMWISE/content/live/SOLUTIONS/175000/TECH17558...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

...Windows Server 2012 R2 is not supported by Backup Exec 2012 at all. You need to upgrade to BE 2014 at a minimum, and BE 15 preferably as this is the newest version of the software. Read the SCL below:

https://symwisedownload.symantec.com/resources/sites/SYMWISE/content/live/SOLUTIONS/175000/TECH17558...

Thanks!

Towdee
Level 2

I'm confused...

I know, that I can't install SEB 2012 on Windows Server 2012 (witch is wierd by just looking on the names of those products...) but there is an agent for Windows Server 2012R2!

If system is not supported then why SEB 2012 correctly distplays OS name, version and build? It even backes it up! Well almost, couse it seems that I cant restore AD elements (Query Failed error) for example.

There are lots of old posts, that says that W2012R2 will be supported by SEB2012 and there are posts that says that "Server 2012 R2 is not supported, so you cannot backup anything on this server, including AD." But this statment is false, couse I can backup almose everything (except AD elements).

So one more time: I'm confused :)

CraigV

...there is no support for Server 2012 R2 on BE 2012. At all, as per the SCL I posted.

It doesn't matter if it backs up another server, or correctly displays the details. It doesn't have support and Symantec will in turn tell you to upgrade. If it works on 1 server and not on another then it's pure luck unfortunately.

Thanks!

NetworkCompany
Level 4

Try turning off simplified disaster recovery.  Thats probably where the access denied error is coming from.

As long as you have a support agreement, BE2015 should be free.   The cost to continue support even if it's lapsed isn't too bad.

Towdee
Level 2

In fact my BE2012 is "Not For Resale Edition". My company won it few years ago and forgot about it. We had no support agreement what so ever. I wonder if we can somehow "upgrade" it to BE2015...

About Simplified Disaster Recovery: It's off. "Note: Simplified Disaster Recovery is not supported for Windows Server 2012 computers"