cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic job : what happen if one incremental job is missing

Romain_DAUCHY
Not applicable

Hello backup exec users,

I'm testing the advance disk based backup option. It's work fine but i'm wonder what happen if during the week, one incremental job fail for any reason (crash, cancel, or other...)

If the crash happen during the the backup, and half of the files were backup, if I run again the job, it won't backup the first half because the archived bit has been reset. Am I right ?

And if i missed data during the week, the synthetic job won't be full, there will be missing file ?

Or the synthetic file make a comparison between the files on the server and the differents incremental ?

If someone can help me to understand.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Incremental backup job backup the changes from the last full or incremental backup.

So incase if the backup job fail for some reason , the archive bit for the files which have been backed up will be reset and the one which it did not touch would remain there. The file which have been backed up by the failed backup job can be restore and when you run the next backup it would backup the files whose archive bit is not reset.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Incremental backup job backup the changes from the last full or incremental backup.

So incase if the backup job fail for some reason , the archive bit for the files which have been backed up will be reset and the one which it did not touch would remain there. The file which have been backed up by the failed backup job can be restore and when you run the next backup it would backup the files whose archive bit is not reset.