cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System State Error

Patrick_Mason
Level 3
I am running Backup Exec 8.6 Build 3878 on a Windows 2000 Server SP4. Recently when trying to do a remote backup of my Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server I get the following error,

Unable to open the item Registry\software - skipped.
An error occurred retrieving System State files.
The System State file could not be backed up.

I found a couple of articles in the knowledge base but neither of those corrected the problem, I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the remote agent on the Terminal Server. Does anyone have an idea on how to correct this issue?
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
I think you'll find the problem is that you can't backup the system state information of a Win2k3 server from a Win2k media server, you'll need to upgrade the media server to 2003. In addition I'm not sure if BEWS 8.6 is even able to handle the system state of a 2003 server.

Patrick_Mason
Level 3
Keith,

Thank you for the reply, I would be more inclined to your line of thought on 8.6 being able to backup Server 2003 system state as well except for the following, we have two Windows 2003 Terminal Servers, both have been in place and have been being backed up for about two years, the backup of the second terminal server is successful and this issue just started a couple of weeks ago.

My other thought was that there was possibly an update installed on the one terminal server that wasn't installed on the second, however I checked into this and both terminal servers have the same updates installed.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am totally stumped on this one.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Officially W2K3 requires v9.1.4454, so I wouldn't count on doing a Disaster Recovery of the W2K3 server from those tapes. User Data may very well be backing up correctly