cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System State System Files Selection

Untalented
Level 4

All,

I have a question regarding the System State selection. I've got two identical servers being backed up. In the System State selection one shows 4 items and the other shows 5. The one missing an item is missing "System Files." Do any of you know why this would be the case?

Thanks,

Unt

5 REPLIES 5

tech29
Level 6

Hi Unt,

When you say  identical server, are you only talking about the OS installed on them or also the applications running on these servers?

Following document might help you understand what exactly gets backed up in a system state backup.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785306(WS.10).aspx

Regards,

tech29

Untalented
Level 4

They are both running Windows Server 2008 Standard, Same Patch Levels, Same Roles, and Same Applications. They are both also Terminal Servers. I understand what the backup should be doing. I don't get why the "System Files" doesn't appear in the one backup of the System State, but in the other it does.

Untalented
Level 4

No one have any ideas how this would happen or why?

tech29
Level 6

Hi there,

Try with Windows 2008 Backup Utility and check if you find the same thing here as well. If this is the case then it is definitely OS issue and not the backup software issue.

Regards,
tech29

DiWi
Level 4

I have nearly the same situation as Untalented has! Here we have 2 Windows Server 2008 SP2 server, running the same software, same roles and features and Windows Server Backup wants to backup more than 20GB of stuff from the system volume.

In Symantec Backup Exec v12.5 SP3 one server shows the 'System files' under 'System State', the other not, so in this case, one server needs around 13GB for the System State backup, the other less than 1GB ???

I suppose it has someting to do with Backup Exec, but I really don't know, why one Backup Exec Server hides the 'System files' under 'System state' ???

Anyone has a solution or knows how to solve the problem or has the same problem, as me and Untalented?

Best regards,
DiWi