cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System State job hangs at 'Snapshot Processing'

justin_g
Level 2
I've seen this a lot, but haven't found a solution.

I have a fresh install of BE 12.5 on a 2003 server.  All jobs are running fine except the System State job of the BE server.  Robotic Library is attached directly to the BE server via SCSI.  For the backup job I have only System State selected.  I've tried it with and without Advanced Open File option selected for use.  When selected, I set it to MS Volume Shadow Copy Service and Automatic - Allow VSS to select snapshot provider.  I have tried Backup to tape and Backup to Disk, both start and hang at 'Snapshot Processing'.  Viewing the job status shows no files/folders have been touched.  Cancel fails and I must stop/restart services and kill bengine.exe to kill the job.

During and after the backup attmept, all VSS writers show Stable/No Error.  I also recently applied the latest VSS patch KB940349 with no luck.  During the troubleshooting process, I've upgraded all firmware and drivers on the server, etc.  BE is fully patched.

I have a case open with Symantec, but after escalation, I haven't heard back in nearly 3 weeks.  I'm hoping someone here can throw me a bone!

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Justin,

Have you looked at running a repair on your installation from Add/Remove programs? Have you also tried to run a DB repair through BEutility?
My other suggestion is to call Symantec back and give them an earful over why they haven't replied to you. THey are normally very good, depending on what part of the world you are in!

Laters!

justin_g
Level 2
Thanks for the reply.  Yes, Level-1 support did both a program repair via Add/Remove, as well as a DB repair, both without luck.  It's odd, since all the other jobs, System States, etc run on other servers with the remote agent.

CraigV
Hi,

Have you updated BEWS with the latest SP and patches, and then pushed this out to your remote servers via a push-install?

CraigV
Any news here Justin?