cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Changer Question

Jose_Manso
Level 2
I use v10 of BE on a machine with a tape changer. On Mondays, I load up the drive with 5 tapes, one for each day of the week. I would like the jobs to start and all run on the first available tape, but it seems that they always end up jumping from tape to tape. I run 5-6 jobs a night, sometimes the first 2 will run on the second tape (slot 2) then the rest run on the first (slot 1). Is there a way to configure them all to run on the first available slot?

btw, all 6 jobs will easily fit on one tape.
4 REPLIES 4

Chris_Pente
Level 2
I ran into the same problem. The solution is simple. Backup Exec writes to each tape based on allocation date. The oldest tape gets written to first. To get the tapes to write in order of slot 1 then slot 2 is to erase the tape in slot 1 and then go do slot 2 in order to slot 5 in your case. Even if the tapes are new Blank, I would still erase them in order that you want them written. Also, I have found that you have to erase each tape as its own job otherwise the group will erase randomly. Hope this helps.

Chris_Pente
Level 2
Sorry my previous post will not solve your problem. If you can instead create one large backup from th 5 or 6, then partitioning the changer will work. Create 5 partitions and assign each night's job to that partition. With 5 or 6 jobs a night you would have to create 25 to 30 jobs each configured to appent as well as assign to a partition.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Hello,
If you have tried the solution mentioned in the previous post, please update us on the outcome.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Jose_Manso
Level 2
Tried the 1st method of erasing the tape, but that didn't work as I wanted it to.

I haven't created the jobs, I would need to create about 35 jobs to do that, so not gonna rush into that.