cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Library HP ultrium LTO 5 MSL8096 Tape rotation policy.

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Hello Guys,

I have a Robotic tape Library HP ultrium LTO 5  MSL8096,and i want to save data for a 3.2 TB on weekly basis.

I am using Symantec Exec 12 for managing backup.

How i can manage  this tape rotation schedule,evey single tape contains 1.5 TB space and with compression 3TB space.

and i have 24 Tapes in a Tape Library.

Daily Differential:

Weekly

Monthly

Yearly

Thanks in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

The way to approach this is to decide how you want your data to be retained, then let Backup Exec manage the rest for you by itself. This way, as your data volume increases, your backups can increase in size, and the number of tapes being used can change, without you having to intervene.

You have already decided that you want the following backups:

• Daily Differential:
  • Weekly
  • Monthly
  • Yearly 

Create a media set for each one, with an Overwrite Protection Period set to how long you wish to retain the data (e.g. for a weekly backup, you may wish to retain it for 3 weeks). Set an append period that's not too long - but long enough to fit all a days' backups into. I tend to set it to 24 hours. You can also create a Media Vault, and assign vault rules at this point.

Then create selection lists, and backup policies and templates. Assign the policies to the selection lists.

Then put all your tape backup media into the scratch media set. As the backups run, Backup Exec will assign the media to the correct media set.

When you come to move media offsite, use the Move Media to Vault and Return Media from Vault reports.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You're going to have an issue getting that library to work with your version of BE.

BE 12.0 supports up to LTO4 on the MSL8096.

You can verify it here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55640

You will have to move to BE 12.5 to get support for it.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH62114

Laters!

EDIT: Once you have at least 12.5 on it, I would suggest looking at a differential/incremental backup during the week, with a full backup over the weekend. Use a policy as this will make it a lot easier to manage.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It depends upon company to company how they want to save there as per there stratergy and for audit purpose.

As you have 24 tapes with LTO 5, couple of them monthly/ yearly as I will be assuming that yearly or monthly tapes you will be sending offsite for data protection and daily and weekly should be overwritten after certain period of time.

Daily Differential: retention 5 weeks - should be running from Monday to Thursday

5 tapes

Weekly:retention 5 weeks - should be running on Friday night.

5 tapes

Monthly : - Should be running on Friday night and exclude this date from weekly backup

4 tapes you can keep for this.

Yearly: Lets say you are doing every quarter or once in 6 months.

4 tapes you can keep for this

2 tapes keep as spare as if something happens with media, like media goes bad or something you can use them. These setting totally depend and as per your company stratergy you can change. I have seen this kind of stratergy used in couple of companies and you can make it as per your conveinece

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Hey Guys,

Thank you for your kind response:

It was really a good information about my problem

Actually we have backup exec 12.5 also but i didnt know it before.

Problem is that i m new with backups and i dont know exatly how to configure the backup exec for making pools and assigning tapes to different pools.

As i said earlier I have to manage 3 TB data every week as full weekly backup and( it will increase 40 GB every week.)and daily differential every day and monthly as of last week.

i dont need to remove tapes offsite every day or week,just once in a month as montly backup to some offsite location.There is not soecific policy.But i need to make a documentation for backup schedule,and tape rotation policy.

Questions are:

How i can make pools in symentac backup,and assign data to different  pool.

How documentation i can make for backup schedule and rotation.

Waitng for a nice and step by step solution from some experts.

Thanks u very much.

-Alex

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

The way to approach this is to decide how you want your data to be retained, then let Backup Exec manage the rest for you by itself. This way, as your data volume increases, your backups can increase in size, and the number of tapes being used can change, without you having to intervene.

You have already decided that you want the following backups:

• Daily Differential:
  • Weekly
  • Monthly
  • Yearly 

Create a media set for each one, with an Overwrite Protection Period set to how long you wish to retain the data (e.g. for a weekly backup, you may wish to retain it for 3 weeks). Set an append period that's not too long - but long enough to fit all a days' backups into. I tend to set it to 24 hours. You can also create a Media Vault, and assign vault rules at this point.

Then create selection lists, and backup policies and templates. Assign the policies to the selection lists.

Then put all your tape backup media into the scratch media set. As the backups run, Backup Exec will assign the media to the correct media set.

When you come to move media offsite, use the Move Media to Vault and Return Media from Vault reports.

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Still need little more explanation regarding tape rotation and scheduling.!???

Thanksss

CraigV

Hywel was pretty much spot on. The only tapes you will remove are the Monthly tapes. You can check the job log to see which tape/s were used during the backup.

For the rest of them, BE handles how they are used. Your OPP/append periods will then play a role here.

Thanks!

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

For job scheduling, in your policy you'd have a job that is scheduled once a month, with the yearly backup media set as the target media set. You'd have another job that is scheduled once a month, with the monthly backup media set as the target media set, and so on.

Then with regards to using the media, Backup Exec will take care of it for you.

With regards to rotating the media off-site, just run the reports and move the media as they tell you (provided you've set the vault rules on your media sets properly).

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Thanks U guys,I hope it would work now.:)

StockholmGuy
Level 6

Thanks for all guys for their contribution in this issue.::)

CraigV

Hi,

You should actually mark the post that has either helped you directly, or most influenced you to find a solution.

In this regard, I think 1 of Hywel's posts would be it with regards to tape rotation and how BE manages it...

Thanks!