cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Library configuration

Backup-Admin
Level 3

Hi,

I'm trying to configure Dell tape library TL4000 and can't seem to find any documentation for that. The tape drive from the library is connected and can be seen in windows device manager. I tried to add the drive / library using the wizard within Backup Exec, it sees the drives in messages and then after I click finish, I don't see the new tape drive / library.

Any configuration help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup-Admin
Level 3

This weekend we changed the media server to another one and migrated BE2010 over to the new server. Media changer works ok in the new setup. Maybe it was windows that was not able to see the media changer.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check that the library is recognised in the Device Manager as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and is functioning correctly.

Also check that it is not connected to the machine using a RAID card which is not supported.

Backup-Admin
Level 3

The tape drive in the library is seen as a drive by symantec driver. Attached are the two screenshots.

One of the drive (LTO4) is directly connected (standalone external drive) and is working correctly since some time.

The LTO5 drive is located inside TL4000.

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

LTO5 is pretty new.  Have you check the SCL of your version of BE to make sure that it is supported?

Backup-Admin
Level 3

The tape library is supported according to HCL (Dell and Symantec). I have one LTO4 Drive and Two LTO5 Drives in the library. The individual tape devices appear in devic emanager as well as BE2010. I performed a test backup on the LTO 5 drive and it was ok.

I don't see media changer in Device Manager though.

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't see media changer in Device Manager though.

Then BE will not be able to use it.  It has to be recognised by Windows first.  You got to get Dell to help you get it recognised by Windows first.

Backup-Admin
Level 3

This weekend we changed the media server to another one and migrated BE2010 over to the new server. Media changer works ok in the new setup. Maybe it was windows that was not able to see the media changer.

Thanks.