cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Library

sdcadmin
Level 5

We added a new drive to our tape library.  The drive shows under the Devices tab; however, it shows as offline.  I can bring it on line, but jobs aren't sent to the drive. I used the configuration wizard.  The new drive shows as a stand-alone device.  If I drag and drop it to the proper location, the old drive and new drive change places.  Jobs are still sent only to the first drive.  I checked the device manager.  The drivers for both drives show and the library is configured properly.  The Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not that I am confident that your symptoms would match this, but are you aware that if you add a drive to a library you need a library expansion option (LEO) license?

sdcadmin
Level 5
We purchased the drive from the manufacturer. I was under the impression that it was all ready to go when I recieve it. I will follow-up with the manufacturer. I don't need any additional license for BE do I?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The LEO is a BE license - I don't think you need a hardware license

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As mentioned by Colin above if you have not yet purchased the Library Expansion Option you will need to do so. Backup Exec out of the box will support your first tape drive on your robotic library but you will need the expansion option for any additional drives added. Please view the provided informtion below 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73438

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

What OS are you running on your media server? Server 2003 has Removable Storage service (RSM) which clashes directly with the functionality of BE controlling the library. If it is Win2K3, stop and disable RSM, and restart the BE services.

Thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What library is it?

Please check your adamm.log under the library and see how many drives the library thinks it has.  Feel free to post your adamm.log here and we will help you.  Have you power cycled the library since adding the drive?

sdcadmin
Level 5
We have a Quantum i40. I have not power cycled the library. I will give that a shot.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Then I suspect that the library is still reporting to BE that it only has one drive, which is confusing BE.

Once you have power cycled the library and verified that everything is seen in Windows Device manager, please be sure to restart the BE services so it get an accurate scan of the new hardware presentation.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Before you power-cycle your library, make sure that you have isntalled a LEO licence for your additional tape drive.

When you are going to power-cycle your library, I would suggest that you do the following.

1) Delete the library and the new tape drive from BE

2) Stop the media server and the library

3) Start the tape library

4) Start the media server

5) Ensure that the library and tape drive is recognised and functioning correctly in the Windows Device Manager. The library should appear as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver and the tape drive should have a Symantec driver.

6) In BE, install the library if necessary.  Go to Tools --> Wizards ---> Device Configuration Wizard to do so.

sdcadmin
Level 5
Yes we have the LEO license. I haven't been able to try your procedures yet, pkh. Currently, I have duplications running. I will let you know the results.

sdcadmin
Level 5
pkh, I performed the steps listed. The 2nd drive still appears as a stand-alone device.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you removed the LEO license and re-added it?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

please post your adamm.log file, hopefully the whole log, but I am especially interested in the paragraph section that starts like this:

0006:0000:0007:0001  Device Name             "\\.\MediumChanger1"

Primary Inquiry         "Quantum <your device here>"

sdcadmin
Level 5
Hi Larry, I'm unable to post the adamm.log. This issues is on a secure environment. Our secured and unsecured environments, along with the medium and devices used in each, cannot intermingle. This policy is strict, no exceptions. I'm going to log a case and see if I can reach resolution with Tech Support.